cleaned and rebuilt BS34, or CV32?

only

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have disassembled and cleaned my BS34 carbs on my 80 xs400. they were filthy, one slide stuck, one jet clogged, a few passages obstructed. all clean and ready for testing before ordering new orings, seals, diaphrams, and gaskets, and possible needles/jets.

question is, for better drivability and performance, would you choose the BS34 stock carbs, or use a pair of later model CV32 carbs?

i have a bank of 4 from a later model Kawi (i think, or maybe FZR) that im thinking of rebuilding and trying them out.

just wanted to put a feeler out there for the moto/carb savvy folk. any input is appreciated.

also, my carbs had 135 mains. i thought 400s got the 142.5 mains. i have an 80 xs400sg, going by vin stamped on the neck.

Last edited:
I'd probably go for the cv's bro. I would think that without the diaphragms that the stock carbs have, drivability and even reliability would go up. Not to mention that parts should be easier to come by, coming from a later model bike. Let us know what you choose man, I'm definitely interested.

Back