Clip-ons + headlight = fail

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
I just bought some clip-ons from fastfromthepast and am unable to install them due to a lack of clearance between the bars and my headlight assembly and turn signals (mainly the turn signals). Does anyone know a way to make it all fit together for the time being? I found these http://www.bikebandit.com/piaa-billet-mounting-brackets?m=147214 but they aren't cheap and I'd have to buy new turn signals as well. I plan to eventually switch to LED signals but not for awhile as I just dropped a lot of $$$ on parts this week. Any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated :-D

I trimmed the bracket slightly.

Attachments

• clipons.jpg
    clipons.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 344
You can lower the front and slip the forks trough the trees a bit, then you can mount them on top of the upper tripple. Not sure about the looks tho..

@ bc thanks I might have to grind mine down some. Your pic is hard to see if you get a moment would you mind emailing me a more detailed pic to use as a guide? joshwuh@gmail.com if not no worries

@ Sandrew I thought about lowering my forks that much but when they get that low I get a death wobble on the highway :-( and I ride the highway everyday to and from work.

I flipped my headlight brackets upside down so the light is lower, and cut them down by the amount needed for the clip-ons to mount to the fork tubes. Hopefully that makes sense, if not I can take a picture for you.

Check out recent photos on my modify build thread. Aftermarket headlight mount ($30) plus a drill press to make some holed. Now everything is mounted to the forks, and clearance isn't an issue (except with the gas tank, but you may not have that problem.)

The older style bracket on my '78 is one giant piece that connects the headlight, horn, and gauge cluster. I trimmed a section out shaped like the red triangle. You just chop a little off and test fit until everything clears.

Attachments

• clipons.jpg
    clipons.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 285
I know this is old, but if you do have a picture of what the headlight brackets look like upside down, I’d be curious to see how much lower the headlight looks. Anyone else have them upside down? I’d like to keep the stock ones for now.

Back