Compatible After Market Product Sources

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have some very specific changes that I'd like to make to my bike.

Namely ...

- Replace 80s rectangle headlamp with a more modern looking one. The front turn signal mounts appear to be conjoined to the current headlamp, will I need to replace them as well?

- Replace the gauge cluster with, again, something up to date.

- Replace the deer antler mirrors with something more modern and stealthy that (perhaps) goes beneath the handlebars instead of above.

- Replace the handlebars with a more industrial, mostly straight bar.

One of my concerns is that I don't know how to fabricate. So, when it comes to mounting these things I need something that comes with fasteners that will work.

Can someone point me to an online resource for AFTER MARKET gadgets for my bike that are easy to work with?

If you Google Yamaha xs400 parts,you'll get a long list of sellers,also ebay should be a good source for a headlight. It doesn't have to be from a xs400,just have the correct mounts for the diameter of your fork tubes.I found a headlight from a '78 xs400,and the mounts as well,so I know that it will fit.I have an '82 Xs400rj seca and don't like the rectangular light,or the cowling in front,and it was broken up anyway.There aren't many xs400 specific parts out there,but many xs650 parts will work,you just have to do your homework.Good luck. lha

Let me apologize in advance for not clarifying ...

I don't really want them to be xs400 parts. I'd MUCH rather go with after-market, modern looking stuff that is more hip and sleek, so to speak.

So many elements of this bike are as I'd like them to be. It's just a few features peppered about that I'd like to adjust. Hence, I want the most up-to-date products I can find.

You will get connected with aftermarket parts suppliers as well,like Bike Bandit,Motorcycle Superstores,etc. lha

- Replace 80s rectangle headlamp with a more modern looking one. The front turn signal mounts appear to be conjoined to the current headlamp, will I need to replace them as well?

A rectangular headlight actually is very modern in terms of style, but anything aftermarket will probably fit with some universal clamp on bracket "ears." Some "ears" have extra holes that may work for signals, or you can always drill your own. Alternatively turn signal mounts that clamp on to the forks are readily available.

- Replace the gauge cluster with, again, something up to date.

Clamps that hold gauges on to the bars are readily available, but they may not work with the stock gauges. The aftermarket gauges are usually way smaller. Replacing all of this can be a bit pricey.

- Replace the deer antler mirrors with something more modern and stealthy that (perhaps) goes beneath the handlebars instead of above.

Mirrors are fairly universal, but you will need a yamaha mirror adapter for the left-handed side. Bar end mirrors are the best in my opinion.

- Replace the handlebars with a more industrial, mostly straight bar.

Bars are cheap and you can get them anywhere. Knurled would be best, but you might be able to clamp on smooth bars. I have heard of people sticking a small strip of rubber from a bicycle inner tube or something similar around a smooth bar to keep it from rotating on you.

Back