Compression test results?

cmobe2

XS400 Member
Reaction score
After searching the forum I could not find a post to cover this specifically...

I have oil fouling on left spark plug and if I hold my hand behind left exhaust oil residue on hand, but the exhaust does not smoke. Right plug and exhaust no oil.

I did a compression test and need help evaluating the results...

Engine warmed up approximately 45 minutes before test so almost cold at test

-Dry compression test left jug 160 / right jug 175
-Wet compression test left jug 200 / right jug 200

Is there enough difference between the dry vs. wet test to call this a ring problem producing the oil fouling on spark plug, or do I possibly have a valve guide that is worn and that’s where the oil is coming from?

Thanks in advance.

I dont beleive you have a ring problem but very possibly a valve seal.Also maybe your oil level is too full?Strange thing last year I a month or so my bike started smoking on the right side and like just like you mentioned coming out the exhaust.I switched brands of oils and miracalsy my smoking problem with the bike stopped.

Scorpio, I just went and checked my oil level... about a quart +- too much! I may need to make a post in the 'tell on yourself' thread, ha. I was measuring from the kickstand. Corrected the level from the upright position. I will ride the next few days to see if the symptoms persist, hopefully this fixes the issue!

Thanks a ton!

Scorpio, I just went and checked my oil level... about a quart +- too much! I may need to make a post in the 'tell on yourself' thread, ha ...
:hellno:
. . . . . . . . No mays about it - it's mandatory. . . Hope that's "all" it turns out to be and none of the other possibilities need to be expensed.

That would explain the very high compression readings. You should be around 150 or so.

Code:
I hope you are going to reveal the exact brand to switch to
It was that good rotella stuff along with quart of synthetic Royal purple.
Also I had an oil leak last winter right after I did my oil change for the winter layup so it sat dry all winter till spring.Come to find out it was the plate that covers up the sump on the bottom of the engine.

Back