Condenser check quick guide

thegrouch

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was going through some issues with my bike and along other experiments I replaced the old condeser with a new just because it's still available and "dirt cheap". I did a quick check on the old one to see if it lost the capacitance and wanted to share results.

I used paperclips to attach the condenser to the multimeter, just needed a 90deg twist.

What I got is 0.123uF which needs to be multiplied by 2 and that gives 0.24uF - totally in spec, even though it looks like it is the original 30yo part. I know one should also measure the series resisntance, but I don't have idea how to do that easly without good lab equipement.

So - for your reference if you ever wondered if your condenser is bad/good - just check it!

regards
Oscar

Attachments

• IMG_2320_small.jpg
    IMG_2320_small.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_2322_small.jpg
    IMG_2322_small.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_2324_small.jpg
    IMG_2324_small.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 396
Cool, re Dan's Motorcycle Page "It's never the condenser" IE, it's never Lupus.

But thanks for the proof method for other guys. Watch, this week we'll have a condenser go bad!

Drewcifer

I have changed the points,condenser,etc.,then the motor ran badly. After trying everything else,I replaced the condenser with the old one,and VOILA,ran like a champ! I think that condensers ,usually if good out of the box,they'll be good for a while.I've seen them work thirty years,just having the points changed. lha

I'm looking for ignition points and condensers for my 1981 yamaha xs400 special with the 392 cc motor. I've had no luck finding the parts. Do any of you know where I can find them? I even called a yamaha parts super store to no avail. They see nothing listed under ignition points!
Thank you

Look at mikesx,I think they should have them. Also look on powersports plus and if they don't have them,click on the item and the next page will tell you what other models will fit. lha

thanks ihaolpa :) I did look there but not hard enough. It looks like they call it multiple items, contact points..very vague in the owners workshop manual.

Back