Control cable help?

Burdmando

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently bought a 400 that a guy had started turning into a bobber and got so far as throwing everything into a box and severely screwing up the hardtail kit. I’ve since fixed the frame and scrounged most of the parts but the major sticking point is the the throttle, front brake and clutch cables are chopped up/missing. I have 12” bars on it now so stock likely won’t work. I’m wondering if anyone has a place that they would recommend for finding cables?

I’m wondering if anyone has a place that they would recommend for finding cables?
Welcome.

You might get Yamaha cables to work from a different style of bike. I originally had buckhorn bars on my '81 XS400H Special II, but decided to go with lower bars that would be found on a standard. Luckily the '78 XS400-2E and '79 XS400-2F have the same wheels/engine config as well as being configured as a standard motorcycle and not a faux cruiser, so finding and trying those worked (a bit of commitment to trial and error is necessary for this).

Secondly, you can have custom cables made by Motion Pro or find a local shop that services the custom motorcycle scene that might make them up for you. By asking around I know of one shop in my region that will do this work and supposedly at a price cheaper than Motion Pro.

Lastly, you can try to make them yourself - search for Flanders cables or Barnett cables to learn more about this. They both sell the parts you need to make up your own custom stuff. But be forewarned that doing a cut-rate assembly job yourself may put your safety at risk.

There are some threads on this forum about cables as well. Well worth using search and taking some time to find and read.

Hello everyone! I recently bought a 400 that a guy had started turning into a bobber and got so far as throwing everything into a box and severely screwing up the hardtail kit. I’ve since fixed the frame and scrounged most of the parts but the major sticking point is the the throttle, front brake and clutch cables are chopped up/missing. I have 12” bars on it now so stock likely won’t work. I’m wondering if anyone has a place that they would recommend for finding cables?

If we are talking a drum brake Special model, the front brake cable will be a problem.

The one people sell on eBay tends to not fit. OEM is not available. You may have to get one made somewhere.

Back