Convert '81 XS400 to Kickstart only

twowheelgurl

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have been trying to do as much research as I can to figure out how to rewire my 81 XS400 so that I dont need a battery. I wanted to use the kickstart only to start the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do or links that can help me do this? I thought I could use the Pamco system but that doesn't allow me to disconnect the battery. What other options are there?

Thanks again for your help!!

The ignition and charging system as it is stock requires a battery, electric starter or not. Many people have gone kick only and gone to a very small battery and hidden it.

This diagram may help and welcome to the forum:)

Attachments

• XS400_1977_Wiring_sm.jpgbasic wiring diagram.jpg
    XS400_1977_Wiring_sm.jpgbasic wiring diagram.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 5,871
Scorpio1963 -

Thanks for the reply and the welcome! Is there anything I need to purchase to rewire it? Should I get the Pamco ignition system to help with the kickstart or does that require a battery?

Thanks!!

Your bike has to have a battery in order to run with the exception that there is a conversion kit on the xs650 site that can be intergrated to work on our bikes.Also look up in the how to do list on the site I think its in the lounge section,a member Drewpy has a complte guide on how to rewire from scratch.Oh also I don't have much knowledge with pamco ignition system except a lot of members have converted over and the results are very good.

I dont mean to keep repeating myself but I am not finding anything clear... I found this video where an XS650 was using a Pamco ignition system with kickstart only...

I looked at the rewiring post for Drewpy but it also looks like you are required to use a battery.

Is there a smaller battery you can use? Trying to avoid having to move the battery down and keep it under the seat. The current one is too big for the seat to fit on the bike.

Thanks!

You can make an XS400 kick only if you want and remove the starter, but you will still need a battery, no matter what ignition system you use, you will need a battery, but it can be a very small one.

We understood your question, it's just that the XS650 in the video has a permanent magnet alternator conversion. Kits to do that to an XS650 are readily available. There is no such kit available for the XS400 so everything would have to be custom fabricated. If you want to take that on, you are more adventurous than I am, but it's been done. To anticipate a question, no the XS650 kits will not work. there is no interchangeability between and XS650 engine and an XS400 engine.

Last edited:
If you have a 81, it has a electronic ignition. No need for a pamco. Those are for bikes with points.

Not sure if this helps but the Yamaha SR500 is kick only and if you want to get rid of the battery you can replace it with a capacitor (pretty tiny thing). I don't know if this will work with the XS400 system. I guess it works like a battery that retains a small 12 volt charge which allows the spark plugs to 'spark' on kick start then relies on the charging system to run the bike afterward and 'refill' the capacitor.

Here's the link from the SR500 forum:

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/epages/es143131.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es143131/Products/BE1

Rex there may be able to answer any questions you have also...

You need a battery for the xs400 to run. Only bikes with a pma can run with a cap.

Back