Could both coils go out at once with the same reading?

amsurfer

XS400 Member
Reaction score
23543B4C-B184-4928-A126-FE93C98C3783.jpeg
Checking my coils and both are reading 0.6 ohms. If they are really dead is that the standard default resistance? Just want to make sure before I go out and buy new ones.

Should be 3 ohms there and 8.6k on the secondary.
If the same condition led to them burning out I suppose they could both end up with the same reading.

I wonder if they're both fully shorted, reading zero, and your meter leads would read .6 when touching each other?

I checked my meter to make sure that was not just a standard reading when I put the leads together. No luck there. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something before I bought new ones. I believe I was checking them the right way but wasn’t 100% sure because both readings were exactly the same. (Was hoping for a little difference.) I have read a bunch of posts where members went out and bought new coils just to find out that was not the problem. Just trying to learn from those who have already been down this trail. No spark is really chapping my hide.

Just saw this and seems odd both would go out at once.

Do you make it to Portland ? If so I have a set that is good also bring yours and I could check them also. They are not that bad for new ones from Mikes but if you get up this way may be a better option.

Just to add closure to this thread. There is a local motorcycle recycle shop that checked out my coils and they tested 3 ohms on his multi meter. I tested a coil at their shop and my meter could not read it correctly. So... my meter could test volts and continuity accurately but not resistance. I lurked around the internet and saw examples of people blowing up their meters and what not. I vaguely recall sparking my meter several months ago but figured all was good when it continued to read volts correctly. Just a reminder to check your meter on something known every once in a while. I was chasing my tail awhile back testing resistance on my starter relay. I never could get an accurate reading saying it was good even though it seemed to be working fine to crank the starter motor. So, there closure. Take home message, some times you have to test the tester.

Back