Coverted directional lights to LED's - no "blink" anymore - help

rmal

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I could use some assistance. I have replaced the front and rear directional indicators with LED's. The 'blinker' no longer blinks - not enough resistance in the circuit I suppose. I add the old regular bulb directionals in parallel and then each side it blinks fine. Any way to add a resistor to fool the circuit to see the resistance. I could wire up a few extra bulbs and hide them, but that seems like a pain. Any thoughts or suggestions?

update photos attached - including small aluminum dash with some LED's for oil, neutral and blinker indicator. got rid of key and wired in a toggle switch.

thanks,
Rick

Attachments

• Photo Sep 24, 4 54 29 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 24, 4 54 29 PM.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 469
  • Photo Sep 24, 4 54 46 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 24, 4 54 46 PM.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 453
  • Photo Sep 24, 4 54 56 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 24, 4 54 56 PM.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 435
I've heard that these work. TBH, you should be able to solder your own in parallel. You are correct about the resistance, but you are actually looking to reduce it (most LEDs draw 0.1A while the stock bulbs draw 0.28A [3.5W], correlating to a DC impedance of 45 and 3.6 ohms respectively), which is why you put the resistor in parallel as opposed to in series. If I remember Circuits properly, that puts the proper resistor at 3.91 ohms and 42W; if you buy from that page this means you should grab the 6ohm 50W one, since that puts the overall resistance at 5.3ohms at 30.43W. Of course, this means that you will not be using any less power, so I would just grab a compatible flasher circuit instead.

I think RS only carries resistors up to 5W, in which case you would need to wire TEN 39.1ohm resistors in parallel with each other and the 0.1A LED to reduce the power through the individual resistors to 4.13W.

I used resistors from radioshack; they have large sizes for cheap. I could never find a flasher with the right layout for my bike and I am impatient, so I used the resistors because I found them locally. Everything works fine now.

Two 10 watt 10 ohm resistors in parallel on each side in the rear; one pair in parallel for each signal. The resistor must attach from the colored wire to the ground. I spliced mine in.

So my math was off :D for just one resistor it would be 72.3 ohm rated for 2.23W. I would probs go with a 100 ohm (rated for at least 1.6W) if I couldn't get a signal circuit.
Also, a 10 ohm resistor off a 12.7V source would have 1.37A through it, so it would have to be rated for more than 16W!

I didn't actually do any math or use Ohm's law or anything; it was trial and error with a few different sizes :) I am sure there are more efficient combinations.

did you know that you can put 2 1157 bulbs,wired inline and you'll have no problem running LEDs with the stock setup? lha

Back