curiousity question

skillzman1

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
will a front end off an xs 650 special with the larger forks swap onto a xs400 if you use the triple trees and all...or will it require machining of the stem for the smaller xs 400 head bearings?

Hmmm...I thought they were smaller on my 400...but the disc brake forks wont work with a drum brake wheel...or will they?
I have access to an 83 seca 650 ...but it has what looks to be an XS front rim...straight spoke vs the curved spokes on the rear..assumed that it had been changed.
I thought the front forks on my xs were 33mm.

Hmmm...I thought they were smaller on my 400...but the disc brake forks wont work with a drum brake wheel...or will they?
I have access to an 83 seca 650 ...but it has what looks to be an XS front rim...straight spoke vs the curved spokes on the rear..assumed that it had been changed.
I thought the front forks on my xs were 33mm.
I have a document somewhere that has Jap bike bearing, fork, axle, etc. specs.....I will try to find it today and post.

xs400 forks are 33mm.xs650 have 34mm and 35mm forks depending on model.only way i know is to get your triple trees bored out to fit the bigger diameter fork tube of the xs650.

I have both an xs650 and xj550 triple tree. I plan to use an xj550 front end on my '81 xs400. If I get the time on Friday, I should have an answer.

Got outside, had time to remove front end and try triple trees. Diameter of stems was no problem. Length is a different issue. XS650 neck measures about 7-1/4", XS400 neck measures 6-3/4". The 1/2" difference will not allow the top bearing retainer to tighten down because of the small ridge or stop on the triple tree stem. The XJ550 stem fits just right, but the issue with that is the size of the forks, which are 36mm, opposed to 35mm for the XS650. For me it is not a problem, because I plan to use the whole front end of the XJ550.

I noticed in the photo section a fellow who goes by the name Ringo, did a build using an XS750 front. Perhaps he could shed more light on the situation.

skillz,

the xs 750 front end I bought on ebay is a neat setup. allows dual brakes up front, a 35mm tube which will allow for wider variety of clip ons and suspension setups (cartridge etc.).

The stem length is OK, you will need to turn the stem down to accept the 400 sized bottom bearing though, top bearing seems to fit OK.

I got the whole setup, trees, forks and wheel for about 90 dollars at the door.

if you google "green bastard xs 400" he has the 750 setup on his bike, its very cool.

skillz,

the xs 750 front end I bought on ebay is a neat setup. allows dual brakes up front, a 35mm tube which will allow for wider variety of clip ons and suspension setups (cartridge etc.).

The stem length is OK, you will need to turn the stem down to accept the 400 sized bottom bearing though, top bearing seems to fit OK.

I got the whole setup, trees, forks and wheel for about 90 dollars at the door.

if you google "green bastard xs 400" he has the 750 setup on his bike, its very cool.

yep, chris posts on the YOC forum with that bike. lots of good feedback on that one:thumbsup:

Hey guys, I know it's years later but I was hoping to throw a 650 front end onto my 400 and get the dual disc setup. I'm trying to figure what I need to do between the bearings and steering stem to make the swap. Can you guys shed any light?

Hey Gramatron, I just put an SR500 front end onto my XS400 and the stems are the same diameter, I would imagine they are the same for the XS650 too. Yamaha would not go out of their way to engineer and manufacture different stems for each model, too costly and pointless. I also think these guys before were confused on the subject.

I installed some new tapered bearings from Mike's XS for the 400 and everything fit easy peasey. I'm using an SR caliper on one side and the XS caliper on the other. Mirror copies.

Keep in mind when I say 'front end' it also means the triple clamps, fender, etc. I wouldn't try to bore out the 400 triple clamps to accept the larger fork tubes.

Hope it helps

Back