custom battery box

adrian

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a battery box I made with the help of a friend a few weekends ago. The PO's setup is shown in the last photo...originally it was just the battery but I had to add a solenoid and starter back into the mix due to the dreaded broken kickstart journal. Anyway, the PO's rig of two 4 inch L brackets was bending and basically ready to collapse after a year of riding, not to mention that it looked like complete shit. I bought a piece of 6 ft. angle iron and chopped it up to the battery dimensions, planning on mounting the battery on it's side to tuck it closer to the seat. In the mockup you can see the longer rail sticking out so I could mount the new starter button (bar switch was dead from the get-go.)

I ended up going with one arm for mounting the box to the bike frame. Clearance issues, the clutch cable and the main wire harness had me worried about welding another support on the left side. Thankfully, the welds were strong enough on the one side and it gives the box a floating effect when viewing from the left side. All in all, I was pretty happy with the turnout, having never welded until that day either.

On a side note, the first starter button I had shorted out after a month, turning the starter once the key was set to the "ON" position. Thankfully, it's a $5 button from PepBoys, so not too painful on the wallet.

Attachments

• IMG_6187.JPG
    IMG_6187.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_6188.JPG
    IMG_6188.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_6189.JPG
    IMG_6189.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_6244.PNG
    IMG_6244.PNG
    776.3 KB · Views: 321
How do you feel about not using a mud guard? Specially in the back where you have exposed cables. I guess the battery may shield the air filters a bit but is there no danger of anything getting messed up?
I am asking cause I am just at the same step on my build and I would love to leave it bare like yours but I am afraid of what sort of consequences that may cause. I don't really ride in bad weather but living in Miami weather is unpredictable to say the least.

I wouldn't worry about the exposure without a fender/mud gaurd. I've been caught in the rain twice on the bike with no problems, minus a wet jacket from no rear fender. The wiring is all shielded or at the very least taped up. I don't think the air filters would ever suck in any water either, if anything the bike would bog out first. Hope that helped!

Back