Custom Build

WelderDave

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
First off I'll say I'm new to this site, and I plan on staying. I bought a XS400 with 11k miles today actually and already stripped it to get it read for a cafe conversion that I have invisioned.

I've gone through all the wiring diagrams, and I'm going to be taking my old one apart so I can wire it up much more simply. Very Excited. I'm planning on running a H4 bulb headlight with LED's, Integrated LED tail light, New speedo, LED front blinkers, cafe seat, original tank, billet aluminum brake and clutch levers, new handlebars, the works.

Here's the thing, I'm online ordering parts right now and all I know is the bike is a 1978 XS400, the title doesnt' say anything else like special, D, F, or anything, so how do I know which rebuild kit I should buy? I wanna get a complete kit for both carbs due to the fact that one is really bad, the needle is gunked up and stuck from sitting.

If you have a link to a complete rebuild kit that would be greatly appreciated, and where I might find new clutch and throttle cables?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

You can Google a vin identifier. What wheels/brakes do you have? I have had great luck with my rebuild kits straight from eBay.

Once you have determined the model you can then go to Babbitts.com and look up individual parts in their exploded view parts catalog. I find that if you cut and paste the Yamaha part no. In your searches on Google or EBay you can find many more options than just listing Year and model searching.

I have why look like cast wheels, they aren’t spokes, and I have front and rear disc brakes I believe, I will check everything this weekend when I head back up to my cousins shop (it’s an hour away but it’s nice). Appreciate the help everyone, and I’ll keep you posted as to what I find!

With those options I would wager that it is a 400E. The 2e had drum brakes and wire spoked wheels as standard equipment

My cousin checked the bike at his place today, deffinitely both disc brakes, so I take it, it’s a xs400E.

I was also reading that the xs400 special had electronic ignition and a starter which mine also has, could it be the xa400 special then? Is there a difference? Otherwise I’ll just have to wait till Saturday wen I go up there and run the number on the bike.

Last edited:
Post the first three letters of the vin and the manufacture date off the neck. Could be a 78-E or a 79-F

That’s the one I saw

Attachments

• DC190EB2-CC94-4FC8-AD48-ADD50F786068.jpeg
    DC190EB2-CC94-4FC8-AD48-ADD50F786068.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 118
That white sticker just barely visible towards the front will have the dates. 77 for a '78 model and 78 for a 79.

The 00 start number is a 78 where a 10 would be a 79. From what I can remember anyway.

Back