Custom Rewind Stator

auhenry

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, just got my stator rewound by the guys over at Custom Rewind, looks like a very professional job and the guys were really helpful and quick with the job. All in all the charge came to 100$.
IMAG0023.jpg
IMAG0020.jpg
IMAG0021.jpg
The custom rewind guy's seperated my stator and field coil too which didn't seem like that big a deal to me.
But with changes to hardware something has to go wrong right ? :banghead:
So I tried plugging the new piece in (not attached to the rec/reg yet) to see if she would put out good voltage. The only problem is that when I turned on the bike my main fuse burned out. Tried a new fuse and the same thing happened. After that I tried unplugging the field coil and of course the headlight lit up no problem.
So I tested continuity and found I get continuity from the body ground to one of the wires running off my field coil (that and my neutral switch and oil light switch). Now I'm no expert but I don't think that should be happening. Any advise to fix the problem?

That would make sense, if the field coil went with him, to the shop.

I suspect
So I tried plugging the new piece in (not attached to the rec/reg yet) to see if she would put out good voltage. The only problem is that when I turned on the bike my main fuse burned out. Tried a new fuse and the same thing happened. After that I tried unplugging the field coil and of course the headlight lit up no problem.

The Reg aka the Voltage regulator is there to turn on the field coil. The Rectifier is there to make the volts into DC as in Direct Current. So with out the rectifier in place you sent unbridled energy at potentially 3 phases at your bikes fuses, with nothing to keep it at a 12 volt DC system. 3 phases means that the coil, has three wires coming out, each one is energized by the magnate. so if you had a 4 wire, you would have a 4 phase system. and each one of those can make up to 75v A/C (aka Alternating Current (recently posted, ((unverified by me, IDK))) Hope that helps, good thing the fuse protected you system.

Okay, I'll see if I can try switching those wires tonight, busy with work as always. But arfstorm I think you and I are thinking different things when I say turned on the bike. I meant I just flipped the key to "ON" without getting the engine started. I don't think having the rectifier regulator attached or not makes a big difference if you aren't actually giving it any power does it?

I was thinking that you had no reason to touch the rectifier, so the connectors may not have been touched. Perhaps you did take the metal connectors out, and didn't place them in right. (possible, I guess. I was thinking that you didn't need to touch the field coil.)

So if your blowing you fuse, just turning the switch, like you suggested with the bike not running, there should be no reason for a overpower sitution. (probably.)

don't think having the rectifier regulator attached or not makes a big difference if you aren't actually giving it any power does it?
I agree with that. Battery is 12.+/- volts, So that should be fine. So till the engine is running, the reg rec, isn't needed for anything. When I did my reasembly I had a printout so I can get the pins in the right spot. So All I needed to make sure that I align up the right pair of colors to the right place. It was easy to determine that Blue wire was matched up with a different color. Good luck, let us know if you figure out the short is at?

I just got mine back from custom Rewind and they had used a sharpie to label the connectors before they took the wires out to replace them. Did they do that for yours?

Also, I'm a little confused when you say "Without the rectifier/regulator hooked up". The wires from out charging system plug directly into those components. How did you connect a stator without hooking it up to the rectifier?:confused:

Also, I'm not an expert in elctric so I may be wrong but have you checked the resistance across those two wires? If it's supposed to be 4.5 ohm but the wires shorted, than there would be no resistance and would fry the Fuse.

I hate to say it but maybe you had a bad field coil, then removing it from the bike wiggled wires and caused the short and the stator was fine all along.:shrug:

Again don't know what tests you've run or the situation, its just a theory.

I didn't do a re-wind, I did the Re-wire the wires external to the coil. Which is what the Re-wire portion of the Tech section is recommending. generically there is a bad spot, on all the originally wired systems, and that same location if no one has done anything to that previous to your ownership. So Choppers/modifiers, and the like may have re-did the wires for what ever purpose and do not have this issue. Those of us trying to re-store the bikes and maintain them, will eventually run into this. Ultimately people will spend alot of money on these bikes, and I am guilty, for a small project that involves a 4 dollar roll of wire, and a solder gun, a decent crimp er, some heatshrink, and now my recommendation of coating the wires with enamel spray paint. The crimp-er if you don't have is 15 bucks or so, the rest of the stuff a buck or two. This is the re-wire link if you didn't see it.
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5934

Also, I'm a little confused when you say "Without the rectifier/regulator hooked up". The wires from out charging system plug directly into those components. How did you connect a stator without hooking it up to the rectifier?
I suspect that my interpretation of your previous statement led me to believe you had place the stator into the bike, and ran the bike with out the Reg/Rectifier. Ran it somehow with the stator plugged in, and not being controlled by the rectifier. So when the Fuses were blowing, to me it would make sense. The fuse and everything that the fuses are protecting, is looking for 12 volts, DC (direct current) (12v DC) The stator is making Volts in Alternating Current. How much volts depends on the rotation of the crankshaft. When you look at the diagram, the white wires going to headlight, or the rectifier, does have a Diode to protect the headlight from the AC current, and the rectifier is protecting the rest of the system from the AC current. When your next post, seem to make think that you didn't run the motor, so than that to me tells you are doing a battery test, which should be fine, but the fuse still popped. So I don't know what was really going on. Did that clear things up??? :confused:

The bad spot I suspect is created by 2 elements, The heat from the tranmission section of the crankcase, and the focus of the energy created by the stator. Energy has a couple attributes that gets left out, one-I likes to over heat central parts of the wire, so the distance of the rec/Reg and the stator, the bad spot seems to exactly center of the two items, and then there is a problem with electrons not liking the up-hill slops, so that seems to support that theory. My first theory is supported by any group of children playing at the park with the generator squeeze handles, and when you get odd number of children on the squeeze, which kid says the zap is worse, (middle child) (not scientific), the other is an argument in Networking CAT5 circles. That you tend to loose bits on elevated structures. So that argument is more for skyscrapers, but with over 30 years on the bikes, I think we can accept that risk. That and the eventuality of the VR die-ing, and leaving the Magnet on, all the time, potentially making the wire burn out, center of the run.:shrug: I suppose I can ask my fire inspectors where do the most fire start at, as far as extension cords being over used. I suspect they would say either the wire will be coiled up, creating its own feedback field, and or the center most of the wire, which is transporting the most amps, and the like, for running the Beer cooler, the Tele, the wireless routers, ... (one more reason to make sure you extension cords are all UL listed.

Well I switched my wires leading off of my field coil and when the bike was turned on (not running) she seemed to be all right. There were no blown fuses like I had before when I tried turning it on.
Now before I sent my field coil to the guys at custom rewind it was doin just fine, 4 ohms of resistance not grounding out to anything, nothin.
But now after I actually tried running my bike (as it should be run, everything plugged in where it should be) the field coil once again decided to crap out on me. Now it shows an open system with no ohms between the two wires. To add to this one of the wires now grounds to the body which makes me think that one of the wires got snipped somewhere along the system.
Now what you were talking about, arfstorm, with trying to re-wire the field coil, that is what the custom rewind guys did to my field coil. Nothing fancy with a re-wind. But now I don't know the best/cheapest way to get this thing runnin sooner rather than later.

If they re-wired your field coil and now it doesn't have 4 ohms between the wires, I would probably give them a call. They obviously messed something up. I'm sure he would be willing to fix it for you.

The only other thing I could think of would be to find where he soldered the sires together and see if you can figure out where the short is with a multimeter or something.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5934 Drewpies :bow:

Start there.
the 5th pic is the stator, field coil, (note the year created)(2011) stood the test of time)

note the hashed up wires, on right of rubber plug? So that is where they all die at. geographically,it is located to the bottom of the drive sprocket, going under the motor, coming up the back side.

Short term fix, hack that section off, (just the white wires) Field coil is usally allright.
since there is a lot of oil, Road dirt, debrie. this method is not recommended, but if your going to do it right later? make sure you use heatshrink tubing, and try to protect the wires. Since your taking it off anyways, just do it to that section. Follow drewpies recommendations, since he did it in UK, the wire gauge conversion is 16 gauge, tinned. available at your local hardware stores.

when you do for real, I attached the wires to the new wires, then I sprayed enamel on that section, to give the extra element of non-crosstalk within the oil-bath section of the stator assembly.

Most of us would rather see you get it right the first time. and do the section just like drewpie laid out. Doing a just get by job, may not get fixed till next driving season. and then for every cut wire, there is 2 more places for inadequate wiring issues to develop. So you think its bad now, there is 3 wires, and if you just substitute the bad section, that generally means 3 sections, 6 connectors, and 12 total spots where a future fail points :doh: to happen at.

Your right, its your bike, you can do what you want to. its your wall.:banghead: pad it well.:doh:

Okay, its been a while and I've done some work. I've redone my wireing to my field coil and stator and decided to give it a couple tests. I'm getting the usual 4 ohms resistance for my field coil and 0.8 ohms on all legs of the stator.
What didn't do too hot is when I tried the razor blade test, I wasn't getting any magnetism when I turned the key to "ON". So I tried to wire the positive terminal to the green wire on the field coil connector, still nothing.
From here I attached the field coil directly to the battery and finally got some magnetism!
Now from here I'm not sure why my field coil isn't getting current (because the wires to the field coil are fine). Any suggestions?

3 possibilities come to mind-
Bad voltage regulator
Wiring not correct
Wires/connectors bad

Get a resistance reading on the wires going to the field coil with the bike off. In other words, put one probe on the green wire as close to the field coil as possible, then put the other probe on the green wire as close to the VR as possible. Do the same for the black wire. Would be best to strip the wire back a bit on the opposite side of the connector on the VR, to see if the connector is actually the culprit.

The wires on these old bikes may look perfectly fine, but they can get real nasty and corroded underneath the jacket.

I gave that wiring test a try, getting no resistance for both green and black wires from the field coil connector to the VR connector.
I did find something interesting though, while I was playing around with the multimeter I noticed that both wires are body-grounded. I was getting a little less than 1 ohm of resistance from my connectors to the bike's body on both the green and black wires (brown at the VR). Is this supposed to happen? I was looking at the wiring diagram and couldn't tell if that is supposed to happen through all of the components, keep in mind that my VR was still plugged in.

If memory serves, both those wires grounding is correct. When the VR senses the battery below a certain threshold (~12.5V), it switches the brown wire from ground to power completing the circuit and powering the coil. When the battery hits ~14.8V, it will switch it back to ground and terminate the current.

Sounds like a bad regulator in that case, is there any way to test those directly or should I just go ahead and grab a new one?

Okay, just got my rec/reg ordered. It's a one piece unit from www.regulatorrectifier.com This one is probably best because my unit isn't body ground and just having one "box" to hide will make it easier. I'll let you guy's know as soon as I get the new piece hooked up.

Okay, so just got the new rec/reg in tonight and it looks like its a piece of junk. I tested the rectifier side of things and right out of the box it failed the diode test. With that in mind it looks like I'm onto finding something else that will work :doh:
Arfstorm, I see you have your regulator up but for me I'd like to try and find something that isn't body ground (I have a plastic underside to my seat where I screw everything to). So it looks like its back to surfing the site and surfing the web for me

Back