Custom Rewind Stator

Arfstorm, I see you have your regulator up but for me I'd like to try and find something that isn't body ground (I have a plastic underside to my seat where I screw everything to). So it looks like its back to surfing the site and surfing the web for me

My solution, includes a ground strap. If you noticed one of the pics in my photo album has I have ran a ground strap from a bolt head/screw head, to the negative feed to the harness. which solves all the needs the bike has for grounding the Reg...

The First image shows the screw head/washer attached to the back of the reg. I used that type of washer, to ensure it makes a metal to bolt connection.

The second image shows the black ground strap, it is attached to the ground connector on the harness, just like the original showed. my concern was I didn't know how much resistance their was by allowing the grounding via the metal to aluminum, to the frame, so I did the ground strap.

I had attached this next to the plastic fender, so I was contemplating attaching it to the fender.

full

second image
full

Okay, so it looks like that will work for me after all.
Any suggestions with a rectifier? I see a lot of used ones on ebay but with the amount of problems people have with XS400 charging systems I'm kinda weary of that route. Are there any other good (cheap) alternatives for a new rectifier?

Last edited:
Just search 3-phase bridge rectifier on amazon. They are like $7

http://www.amazon.com/SQL50A-10-Bridge-Rectifier-Half-Wave-Silver/dp/B00E0HCE8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414496733&sr=8-2&keywords=3+wave+rectifier

I don't think our bike puts out more than 35 A but you could get a 50 A just to be safe. I went with the 100A because it was the cheapest at the time but that one is rather large (about the size of a wallet) so fitting it might be difficult. On the other hand, you can place larger ones almost anywhere since they won't need as much air to keep them cool.

Usually there is nothing wrong with the rectifiers. So double check the old one. I bet its fine. I am using the combo one, once it was wired in, I just went with it. (in a recent thread, it was pointed out that I might have the wires backwards for the VR) something for me to look up later. We had a thread called charge.sys back in the day (2011) there was home made rectifiers from the local radio shack.

Okay, I'll give the old one a test. I'll probably end up doing a rewire for the old beast this winter anyway; my fuse "box" is pretty sketch and might as well take care of as much as I can while I'm not riding for a couple months. If the rectifier is pooped I'll be doing my homework to see what will work best for my bike. As soon as I get all of my plans together for this project I'll let y'all know!

Back