cutting off unused connectors

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to clean all of the unused, unnecessary wiring and such from my build. If I am not using a connector, say for turn signals, can I just cut off that connector and either cap off or pull out the wiring? I don't believe there would be an issue but I wanted to make certain before the hacking began.

I would think you should be ok as long as its capped off good. Or just maybe re wire things ?

I am actually going to just re wire the bike as the harnesses I have both look like a birds nest.......... I also said screw it and picked up a M unit also to make things easier.

I would think you should be ok as long as its capped off good. Or just maybe re wire things ?

I am actually going to just re wire the bike as the harnesses I have both look like a birds nest.......... I also said screw it and picked up a M unit also to make things easier.
The M unit thing takes my budget build right off the rails though. I will be in this bike for $514.00 total if I finish it the way I plan.Even with another $100 involved I would feel safe in my investment. I have another started already, so far I have $165.00 in that for a complete running bike and a beautiful frame...they are just something to keep me motivated.I am learning as I go...so far so good!

The M unit thing takes my budget build right off the rails though. I will be in this bike for $514.00 total if I finish it the way I plan.Even with another $100 involved I would feel safe in my investment. I have another started already, so far I have $165.00 in that for a complete running bike and a beautiful frame...they are just something to keep me motivated.I am learning as I go...so far so good!

Budget :lmao: what that...................I always tell myself yeah lets keep it to this........yeah sure........

I wish I could find anything decent around here for under 400........not happening. Not sure what it is but no 400s around here for any decent price.

I am into 3 bikes for about 550 I think. I got one to run good and one to kind of run......the other one well is missing vital pieces........

Hahahahahah:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Budget build....no such thing...not without cutting corners or sacrificing on performance or reliability or worse....safety.
Just replacing bearings (wheels/steering), oils (forks,engine,brake),fork seals, brake pads/lines, filters oil/air, chain and sprockets, tires,any cables (clutch,throttle)...all of this is just to ensure reliability/safety....will derail any budget...
All of this and nothing in the way of performance/esthetics as even begun...

Hahahahahah:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Budget build....no such thing...not without cutting corners or sacrificing on performance or reliability or worse....safety.
Just replacing bearings (wheels/steering), oils (forks,engine,brake),fork seals, brake pads/lines, filters oil/air, chain and sprockets, tires,any cables (clutch,throttle)...all of this is just to ensure reliability/safety....will derail any budget...
All of this and nothing in the way of performance/esthetics as even begun...
If all of the items you mentioned were replaced that would be one thing. Most of them , upon inspection where perfectly servicable. This project started with a viable project base, the bike only had 1670 miles on it and had been ridden until I had to stop riding in 2011. It was stored inside in my basement for most of that time. I was very fortunate to find this bike in PA via eBay and I paid $240 dollars for it. I caught it as a late night ending auction with virtually no bidders. I don't need to throw performance parts at it, I chose to go with used where I could and I also have a second donor bike when needed. ( I paid 165.00 for that near Boston with no title but I have a titled frame which will be my next project.) most of my expense has be on cosmetic changes. I have replaced the levers and perches and the clutch and brake cables.Also, the chain has been replaced.The drum brakes are in excellent shape and stand tall pad -wise. The market for these bikes is much stronger now and I doubt if many can be found under $300, Kelly Blue Book lists "Fair" value above $500. That was what prompted me too start this project. I had earmarked a total of $400 available to put this bike on the road with some modifications.At this point I will be coming in under that.

Last edited:
If all of the items you mentioned were replaced that would be one thing. Most of them , upon inspection where perfectly servicable. This project started with a viable project base, the bike only had 1670 miles on it and had been ridden until I had to stop riding in 2011. It was stored inside in my basement for most of that time. I was very fortunate to find this bike in PA via eBay and I paid $240 dollars for it. I caught it as a late night ending auction with virtually no bidders. I don't need to throw performance parts at it, I chose to go with used where I could and I also have a second donor bike when needed. ( I paid 165.00 for that near Boston with no title but I have a titled frame which will be my next project.) most of my expense has be on cosmetic changes. I have replaced the levers and perches and the clutch and brake cables.Also, the chain has been replaced.The drum brakes are in excellent shape and stand tall pad -wise. The market for these bikes is much stronger now and I doubt if many can be found under $300, Kelly Blue Book lists "Fair" value above $500. That was what prompted me too start this project. I had earmarked a total of $400 available to put this bike on the road with some modifications.At this point I will be coming in under that.

Well if it was yours to begin with and you stored it right you are probably good.

Mine had bad master cylinders from sitting so.........a whole rebuild or replace is in order for a lot of parts. No budget involved and if there was I would have purchased a newer running bike.

Wasn't trying to be dick here, just saying that sometimes especially with older bikes, some things need changing even if they "look" serviceable.
It is the case with anything rubber...like brake lines...if they are say...5 years old I would change them out.
Same for tires, they may look good but dry rot will cause a blowout ...and one of those on two wheels...well you get the picture.
Some things are out of way inspection wise like swing arm bearings/bushings and will affect handling.
I'm just saying...safety first...budget second.
Some parts need upgrading sometimes.
For example,my buddy's scrambler has the original ball bearing stem bearings and the steering is...good but nothing compared to mine which I upgraded to tapered bearings...it does make some difference when driving at highway speeds.

Wasn't trying to be dick here, just saying that sometimes especially with older bikes, some things need changing even if they "look" serviceable.
It is the case with anything rubber...like brake lines...if they are say...5 years old I would change them out.
Same for tires, they may look good but dry rot will cause a blowout ...and one of those on two wheels...well you get the picture.
Some things are out of way inspection wise like swing arm bearings/bushings and will affect handling.
I'm just saying...safety first...budget second.
Some parts need upgrading sometimes.
For example,my buddy's scrambler has the original ball bearing stem bearings and the steering is...good but nothing compared to mine which I upgraded to tapered bearings...it does make some difference when driving at highway speeds.
Nothing you said was insulting or out of line. They are good, common sense recommendations. I have had loads of time invested in checking those same things. I am fortunate that I have a nice, simple drum brake system which I have been able to take apart and inspect. Likewise, I am replacing the tires in the interest of safety. No worries on anything. We are all here for the advice and help of others.

Not sure what the vision is for this project but I personally would be thinking about rewiring and saving the original wiring and any components being removed. Just because you don't feel a need for them there are plenty of people who are searching for those same parts.

Just thinking you might be able to make enough money from parts you remove to buy some wire and a good pair of crimpers. And if you do decide to start chopping of the connectors of you harness put all those connectors in a box and let us know what you have someone may be looking for them!

Years ago I was given an old XS650 that had been stored in a leaky shed. Did not think there was anything much salvageable on it. Over the last few years bits and pieces have traveled all across the USA and even to Australia! Just this month a front fork lower and a couple signal light mounts have gone to Georgia, so never toss any parts no matter how minor, some one will be looking for them!

Last edited:
Not sure what the vision is for this project but I personally would be thinking about rewiring and saving the original wiring and any components being removed. Just because you don't feel a need for them there are plenty of people who are searching for those same parts.

Just thinking you might be able to make enough money from parts you remove to buy some wire and a good pair of crimpers. And if you do decide to start chopping of the connectors of you harness put all those connectors in a box and let us know what you have someone may be looking for them!

Years ago I was given an old XS650 that had been stored in a leaky shed. Did not think there was anything much salvageable on it. Over the last few years bits and pieces have traveled all across the USA and even to Australia! Just this month a front fork lower and a couple signal light mounts have gone to Georgia, so never toss any parts no matter how minor, some one will be looking for them!
Thanks! I was specifically looking at removing the directional signal ends within the headlamp. I am considering a smaller sized lamp and thing surely get crowded in there! I keep all the parts I have removed and am evaluating their condition and I will be offering them to others. Thanks for the advice!

Back