Daeds '81 Cafe Build

Daed

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Bought a 81 xs400 Special II a couple weeks ago with the plan to make another Cafe out of it.
Been taking some pictures and thought I would share my progress so far.

Here is the bike as I got it for $225 from a guy who had it sitting in his barn for the past 10 years.
Only has 6600 miles on it. Looks like it was dropped on the right side, rear brake lever got pushed into the engine, but other than that everything seems fine for its age.
Engine isn't seized but the carbs were too nasty to get it to run and there was no battery, so hopefully all is good on the inside. :bike:

IMG_4959.jpg

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

Stripping it down.
IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

I'm getting rid of the wire wheels and drum setup on front. Old and 'new' rear.
IMG_5150.jpg

Engine before any work...
IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

And after sanding, soda blasting, and hitting the top with flat header paint and the bottom with flat engine enamel. Didn't feel like pulling the entire thing apart for paint so just masked what I didnt want painted... might have been easier to just pull it apart...
IMG_5796.jpg

IMG_5798.jpg

Brake caliper all cleaned up.
IMG_5795.jpg

Frame sanded down and painted with all the unneeded tabs/holders and peg pegs cut off. New forks and front wheel. Going with a black and red theme.
IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5792.jpg

I'm going to modify the frame a bit but need my seat first, which is why its still all nasty back there. It's ordered but taking its time.
Threw the old coilovers on just so I could get it back on 2 wheels and get the engine back in.
IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

I'm going to be completely redoing the harness to better hide everything, so got that pulled apart and figured out for the most part last night. Need to get a hold of a wiring diagram, will make everything easier..
IMG_20140731_175051779_HDR.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Little Resistor? Diode? It's broken right now so might need to replace.
IMG_20140731_175012324.jpg

I have a big box of goodies coming today so will hopefully be able to make some good progress this weekend and get some more pictures up soon. :D

Last edited:
Here is my other bike in case anyone is interested. Also an '81 Yamaha, but an XJ750 Seca
IMG_4751.JPG

Welcome to the forum. Looks good so far. That little wire is a diode.

Looks great, and I dig your XJ. Might be an odd detail to glom onto but I love the painted speedo mechanism on the wheel hub, just a little hidden flash of colour.

I like the shocks I have on the 750 and plan on using them on the 400 as well, with a little lighter spring. Heard rumors that they can blow out and that the dampening can be inconsistent, maybe I just got lucky but they are working really well so far.

Goodies
IMG_20140801_160258209.jpg

Gaiters, handlebars, grips, controls, headlight, and a few more little pieces on the engine on. Tank chilling there to see how it looks.
IMG_20140802_141949096.jpg

IMG_20140802_141957561.jpg

IMG_20140802_142012074.jpg

IMG_20140802_142056508.jpg

Tank stripped and sanded down
IMG_20140802_170435634.jpg

IMG_20140802_170447590.jpg

Good tire choice on the front. Do you have a new rear to match it? That rubber on that rim looks a bit worn.

Thanks.

Yea the rear tire came with the wheel and is shot, it still has nubs on it but the center is worn flat and its so old its starting to rot, will definitely be replaced.

Got some work done on the tank last night.
tank.jpg

Spent like 4 hours on it and thought I had it perfect, then once I got a shiny coat of black on it.... :( Not as perfect as it felt.. So I'll likely be taking it back down to filler and getting a little better shape. I pulled the metal out a little but the bondo is still pretty thick in spots, hope it holds up.

Been waiting on my seat, it's kinda putting a hold on stuff...
I finally got the notice that it shipped, but it will probably take at least 20 days coming from Vietnam...

Decided to chop up and bend the frame last night though.
chop.jpg

Was gonna wait until I got the frame all done to start electrical, but I can rough it in.
Want to get as much done as possible, running out of time if I want to get it road ready by the end of the season.

Hope you are going to weld in a bunch of supports in the section you cut out:confused: That part takes a lot of stress from the rear wheel and weight of the bike/you.

Ahh, yea, guess I should have explained what I'm doing.

My new seat doesn't get wider front to back like the original seath, so the frame is too wide.
orig.jpg

So I chopped that out so I could bend in the upright part of the frame so the seat will fit. Even with the frame coming in about 1.5 inches on each side, the coilovers should still stay out of the way of the tire even under full compression.
bent.jpg

I will be welding in a hoop to replace the chopped out parts once I get the seat and get some final measurements off it. :thumbsup:

BOOO!!! Ordered the seat over 3 months ago, it shipped finally and was supposed to be delivered last week. Called up to get a tracking number, turns out it made it to the states but USPS lost it....

They are making me another... but I will definitely not be getting it before the snow comes. :mad:

Too bad about the seat. The progress is looking great so far! I like the flat black engine. You've also done a fantastic job with the XJ.

I finally got the replacment seat in the mail the other day. Unfortunately it's the wrong seat...... Not even close to what I ordered...

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Still talking with them sending pictures and shit trying to get them to send what I ordered...

:doh:

Looks like the way im going to do the seat for my bike. Just wandering if when you bent it in, does it get in the way of the chain clearance or are the springs going to be in the way of the tire?

Last edited:
Back