Dang it

SussexSlammer

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
This bike is so rigged up its not even funny. So I noticed my bike had kind of a droopy exhaust. And it sounded horrible. First off, this thing leaks like a siv from the head pipe because the header bounces every which way it wants to. Broken stud. Cool. The muffler wasn't actually attached to the head pipe at all. It was being held in place by heat tape and bailing wire. No wonder she's coughing. Heres to a few beers and a few days off

Oh yeah, now you guys can see my sketchy *** frame.

Yeah that would cause some tuning headaches. You need to get that exhaust rigid mounted in the rear or it will keep breaking things up by the head. Trust me, I've been there not too long ago. Now that I added rear mounts it's been perfect.

Yeah that rear frame cut need a horizontal brace, and you either need longer shocks with the seat like that or need to add a divit for tire clearance. If you hit a bump and those shocks fully compress, that tire will be saying hello to the seat pan. You need new rubber too, those tires look tired.

Also just since I went through the same problems- remove the pipe wrap and check the pipes for damage near the bend at the head. Look for holes and cracks. If it was enough stress to break the stud, it could very well have ruined the headers too.

There's new rubber sitting in my garage at the moment. That's on my weekend to do list. Taller shocks? I haven't had any issues with rubbing yet, and I'm a pretty scrawny guy.. 140 pounds can only compress those springs so much lol. Is bracing the frame that crucial? Or will I be able to go without it for another week or two? I'll be taking care of the exhaust this weekend as well. Have some ideas in mind for it.

You'll be fine on the bracing just putzing around, but it really is something you should do. A strong frame makes for a better handling bike.

You'd be surprised at how much shocks will/can compress under a load, regardless of rider weight. In turns, those things compress quite a bit, then add a bump in that turn and they will max out pretty good.

Oh boy.. Sounds like taller shocks are in order then. It's low on my priority list at the moment, but any ideas where to find some?

I noticed you have the spring set on its lowest nudge. You could try turning into the highest in the meantime if you are still planning on switching shocks.

The shocks have already been swapped out. As far as my understanding goes, those notches effect the spring preload and not the ride height. I could be mistaken though?

You are correct, they set preload. That will affect the static ride height a bit, but they will still compress under load the same no matter what the preload is set at.

Those shocks gave the bike too much of a chopper feel. I grabbed some taller eBay ones and somehow managed to throw those on. Mind you I don't own a jack that'll work for bikes and I don't have a center stand either. This is how she's sitting now. The kickstand is way short now though. If it isn't one thing it's the other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 96
Yep there are others that will bolt right on that are just the right amount longer. Mine was off a XS750. Like $10 shipped on ebay.

Back