dead battery issue

cafedan

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys!! good morning. i went to start my bike yesterday and no juice. its a new battery so it should be fine. here is the wiring diagram that i used when i wired it. is there a way to test the stator ohms or something it seems? if so are the charging wires the three white ones?

copyright image removed

update. so i charged the battery. when it was charging it read 13.6 and when i took the charger off and started it, it shows 12.4 volts

Have you had the bike running before and this is a new issue? I assume you checked the fuse. Do you have a voltmeter? If so test you your battery for voltage. No lights...oops, see you made an update as I was writing. As the bike is running it should be charging at 14 to 14.5 volts.

In the online manual there is a test for checking the stator, and regulator and rectifier.

My Walmart sealed battery I bought a couple years ago went dead in just 7 months. Had a great 6 month warranty! lol Not saying that is your problem but don't rule it out as you check out things. A battery can test 12V but not have enough charge to start the bike. Only a load test will determine if the battery has a "depth" to it's charge.

A charger will put out higher volts to bring the battery up to 12V.

I always buy a brand battery for that very reason. ATM i have a honda battery in:yikes:

Yes, CCAs.

Yep, good idea. Basically, I do the same but decided to give it a try that time to see how it went. Some aftermarket batteries are good. Our NAPA auto parts stores carry AGM sealed batteries made by Douglas - an old name in the U.S. for batteries. They offer a 1 yr. over-the-counter free replacement on their Power Sports batteries. I also like Interstate batteries. Have used them for years in my cars with excellent results.

Back