decisions decisions. (cafe vs bobber)

zrobb3

XS400 Member
Reaction score
well i picked up this 77xs400 from a guy who started to go the cafe racer style with it. i was looking to hardtail one and chop it up a little..but seeing the bike now, its kinda hard to decide what to do. i can finish it pretty easily the way he had it going, but i dont mind going another direction with the project. so what would you do? heres the bike

assembled;
3n23mf3lf5W05U35X4b2a55172d153d5a1ff2.jpg

as it sits now;
3n43m23l45V15O05U2b2aeae59d3e4ca8153e.jpg

i have everything to complete the bike, and i'm just freshening up the motor as well.

I kinda like the paint job and the cafe style. T

he only issue is, can you take the pressure on the wrists from the stance!(unless you do 80 mph all the time)

I kinda like the paint job and the cafe style. T

he only issue is, can you take the pressure on the wrists from the stance!(unless you do 80 mph all the time)

haha well i guess i'll see how it goes!

I'm a bobber guy, but I still appreciate a good looking cafe....may even do one myself soon. I also love the bratstyle, if you need some other suggestions....wouldn't be hard to go brat with it from there either...

pounderng the same delima myself. You do have a better start than I.
A few questions I KEEP asking myself..
Which is cheaper? If you have a lot of cash, and can afford the hard tail, is one.
If short on cash, go with what you have.
Which is easier to do with what time I have?
Which can I do better?
If you can do the engine, you should have no problems there.
Will this be your only ride???
If so, like drewpy said, cafe would be hard on the wrists, probabally over an hour.
are you going to ride any longer distances?? If so a bobber might be better.
Lastly...YOU COULD DO BOTH.
There are bobbers that keep the shocks. Then, set up the tail section for either type of seat. you can always switch bars. Or with drag bars (slight bend) rotate the handle bar with the bend straight back for a bobber or rotate bend down, for a cafe, and change the seat. have fun

i plan to do the following trick in the future
having two styles on the same bike
the plan goes like this

cutting the subframe and building two new subframes
one hardtail-style with a suspension hidden under the seat and one cafe style
both subframes will be bolt-on style [if you get what i mean]
and the steering bar is going to be the same with just changing it upside down

i call it transformer style

[please excuse my drawing skills]

Attachments

• transformer.JPG
    transformer.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 317
RDZ - WOW. when ever that plans comes into action we need pics. that would be awesome, ive seen 650s with that style mount, but that was cafe style. this would be awesome. like a harley softail kinda deal.

on the main subject, brat would probably be cheapest. just cut the rails and angle the shocks and thats pretty much it i think. maybe some bars and a tank and a solo seat, but you dont have to buy plates and tubing and other such things like for a bobber. or clipons or whatever else for a cafe. if it comes down to money, do a brat. because you can always go back to the cafe route because you atill have the swingarm and stuff, or the bobber route and cut it all off. its really up to you. but if cost is an issue, i suggest brat just my $20 worth. because this was more than 2 cents. lol this was a novel

RDZ - WOW. when ever that plans comes into action we need pics.

thanks ...... its not really something special ..... its a basic link type ..... like this

sus_link_installed_2-600x450.jpg

attachment.php

96853508B-ducati-suspension-kit.jpg

and the whole link can be hidden under the seat

and the bone of the link doesnt have to have so big angle .... only a small one ..... just to take away the forces of the frame .... and the but :laugh::laugh:

on the main subject, brat would probably be cheapest.

the above system is calculated to cost almost nothing

you use your one of your own suspensions
you find a bone from used parts
and you make a new swingarm ...... or you can use also your oem without modifying it

on the second plan on my drawing you make your subframe bolt-on and make it look like this

americancaferacer.jpg

so depending on your mood you change the subframe and turn the steering upside down

10 minute job :thumbsup:

Personally, I think the pre-80's xs400's lend themselves to a bit of a cafe style with the tank and 18" front and rear wheels. My suggestion is to check out www.wrenchmonkees.com and www.gravel-crew.com. Some amazing machines there that are kind of a blend between bobber and cafe style. That's the inspiration for my builds (whenever I get the time to start them).

great input thanks guys!

a few things, this is my first bike project so i'm leaning towards finishing it as is and eventually going from there.
i'm not too into the brat style, but some can look awesome.
as far as the bar angle, my ride to work is 5 mins and i'm sure i'll see some extented riding periods on it. but it will mainly be my commuter

and i can always just get another bike if i wanna do a strict hardtail bobber :laugh:..like i need more projects

there is a thin line between what we need and what we want. but usually what we want we dont have the money for. unless we convince ourselves that we "need" it. lol

Back