Desperate for a Solution

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Got a new TCI from Wisc Cycle Sal. It didn't fix the spark issue on my '80 xs400 special. Can anyone think of what else it could be? Tested everything. Coils: LT pri: 2.7-2.9 ohms Sec: 8.5K ohms. Rt pri: 4 ohms, Sec: 11.4K ohms. Pick up coil 634 ohms, and 705 ohms. Alternator .72 ohms all around. No spark on either side. What am I missing? Thanks alot, have a great day!

Did you remove the plug boots and inspect the connection to the cables? I cleaned mine up by chopping off a little and screwing the boots back in.

Is the battery old? How many volts is it sitting at?

Is the condenser grounded to the frame properly? If the condenser is bad it is often very difficult to diagnose; often this is done by the process of elimination; especially since you don't have points. I am not actually 100% sure an electronic ignition bike has a condenser, so pardon me if I am wrong!

Did you pull out all electrical connections, clean them up, and pack them with dielectric grease?

Is your kill switch working properly?

Thanks for the response. Just got the batt charged. It had 12.6. The starter turned over fine. I don't think it has a condenser. How would I check the kill switch? Thanks again for all of you help. Have a great day!

If the starter is turning the engine over the kill switch is not a problem; it shouldn't turn the engine over at all on the "kill" setting.

Have you checked the fuses lately?

If the starter is turning the engine over the kill switch is not a problem; it shouldn't turn the engine over at all on the "kill" setting.

Have you checked the fuses lately?

Yep they are all good. If I had a condenser, what would it look like. Also, at the risk of being sounding stupid, How would I use the multimeter to see if voltage is getting to the coils. Where would I put the black vs red lead. Also do those numbers sound OK for the coils. Thnk you very much, I appreciate it!

no condenser on TCI bc just overlooked it.

make sure you are getting continuity through all connection and a good 12v to tci. make sure earths (grounds) are clean too.

At the risk of sounding stupid. How exactly do I check for voltage and how do I make sure all the grounds are OK? Have a friends multimeter, but I'm not sure how to accurately check voltage. Thank you for your help, have a great day!
no condenser on TCI bc just overlooked it.

make sure you are getting continuity through all connection and a good 12v to tci. make sure earths (grounds) are clean too.

Hi ! If you are using the digital multimeter, just set it on DC position and if it is devided put it on 20 V range. then check if you have more than 12 V between plus of battery and frame, so you know, that ground of battery is OK. After that put one wire of multimeter on frame and with other you can check where elestricity is present.
You can do it !:thumbsup:

for the grounds, just undo from the frame and clean to bare metal.

bit of petroleum jelly after to stop the rot.

OK, I think I have it. Put black lead on any part ofame (even if it is painted?) and the red lead on any of the prongs on the connection, correct? I'm sorry to ask stupid questions, but I have no experience working on these things. I really appreciate everybody's help. I hope I can return the favors some day. Have a great day!
Hi ! If you are using the digital multimeter, just set it on DC position and if it is devided put it on 20 V range. then check if you have more than 12 V between plus of battery and frame, so you know, that ground of battery is OK. After that put one wire of multimeter on frame and with other you can check where elestricity is present.
You can do it !:thumbsup:

black lead on battery negative. red lead of multimeter on the hot lead at any component.

Should always be above 12 v.

And Zonk, theres only one dumb thing, and thats not ASKING how to do something if you don't know how.

I usually hit up youtube first..."How to use a multimeter" (saw a hilarious german guy going way to far into detail on what they do..)

then I google it

then I google "use multimeter to test motorcycle" etc etc. Google is the library that never closes.

I'd also recommend Mrmaxstorey on youtube. He has a motorcycle how to channel with all the basics covered.
here:

Back