different chain sizes

I'm using wheels from a derbi gpr50, they use a 420 chain, if I use a 420 front sprocket it would be an easy fit (if there's one that will go on the XS) otherwise I'll have to use a 520 rear sprocket which is fine too

I should clarify, I'm talking about converting to a 420 drive-train, that is front sprocket, chain and rear sprocket, I'm hoping to get my bike extremely light, I'm wondering if the weight loss would be worth the decreased wear time or any possible chain strength issues, also is there a 420 front sprocket in existence that would go on the XS400?

I doubt it, but it would be feasable to go 520 like some RD guys have!

you can get rear sprocket blanks so you can match the pattern of the derbi hub.

Well, the tensile strength of a 420 is 3700# while the 520 and 530 is 6100#. The 530 is oversized and understressed in an XS400, but I'm not sure how light you can go until it's too light. As Drewp mentioned, XS650 guys often use 520s, so that would be more than enough for a 400.

Hey, wait- how about just using old Google to see what bikes use a 420 from the factory and if any put out say, over 40hp? If so, it would probably work for an XS400. It's not scientific, but it would probably work.

@ HoughMade - thanks for the compelling info, I was doing similar Google searches but not that one, I'll take your research advice for when I get a new drivetrain (perhaps sooner than later who knows), I do like the idea of running a light little chain

Here's something I found, I will be sticking with the 530:
A fresh renthal #420 chain lasts a single event with my bicycle before it's worn out. Start out the day taking it out of the wrapper all beautiful and factory greased, and connect it up, end the day with a chain so worn out it sags on rear sprocket. It also requires re-tensioning after about every session, and it wears the little areas the pin's ride enough to grow and get sloppy after each 10minute riding session. (I run about 3-4x the power through it than it was designed for, it lasts fine at lower power levels) Kinda a pain in the neck the constantly have to be replacing and fiddling with, but going to #520 (which would last forever) would add a lot of weight and sprocket diameter.

Back