different kick start pedal?

Jimbo31

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello everyone I spotted a brass kick-start pedal I would really like to put on my bike but as it is an 81 and same with most xs400s the pedal is not removable from the actual kick-start arm. Does anyone know of another model bike that has a similar folding mechanism but supports changeable pedals?

our kick splines are interchangeable with xs models. 650, 750, etc. Just swapped mine with a 650 kick. Slight difference. Not interchangeable with other companies. Honda didn't fit mine.

the pivot (boss) that the pedal folds around is more expensive than the lever. The boss as it's called is like 80 bucks OEM. I went to ebay.

No worries,

also, if you have the boss (splines and pivot stem) you can put a lot of brands LEVER onto the boss. Think that over.

Boom.

a kickstart attaches to the engine on a splined shaft. What slides over that shaft is a metal piece called a boss. attached the boss, usually pivoting around the cylindrical shaft on top, is the lever. They are 2 separate pieces, sometimes sold as one unit.

Just because you can't use a honda boss doesn't mean you can't use a lever from someone else, you just have to check what diameter the lever is and if it will fit over your kick boss shaft on top of the boss. (Which is what allows you to pivot out the starter, and then pivot it back out of the way.)

Back