Difinitive float height!

walleye

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdo all,
Can anybody give me the float height for my 1980 xs 400 se!
My carbs are the BS34's that the 80-84 xs650 had, ie, plastic floats, push fit float valve and rubber plug on the pilot jet.
THe 650 float height is 22mm, I've got the haynes manual and it says 25.7 +/- 1mm.
This just seems that the tang to set the height needs to be bent an alarming amount down to get the suggested height.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

25.7mm works great....for the round brass floats, not for what you have. I am no plastic float expert, but I think people have been setting the fuel level them at 1mm below the float bowl surface using a clear tube on the float drain.

on my tracker I have dohc carbs and they are set to;

right carb 21.16
left 21.51

with #50 pilot and 142.4 mains wich are larger than standard. running pods and freeflow exhaust.

I'm telling you all this as its all connected, a lower fuel level weakens the fuel delivey!

Thanks for the replies folks.
I'll try the height advised and see if she fires up.
I'm running pods with a motad exhaust, I've gone 2 sizes up on the main and stayed with the 42.5 on the pilots. There's fuel going into both carbs but can't be sure of the float level test being precise because I cant run the bike to let the level settle using the plastic tube test. I have no idea when the bike last ran, the last tax disc reads 1996 so I guess it's trial and error time!
Love the street tracker build drewpy, some really nice touches!

Back