do i need to sync carbs? and how to

zampination

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello to all of you again!
I noticed in my xs250special(maxim 83 i think) that when it idles the left exaust pipe gives lower air pressure than the right one. Could that be a problem of carb sync?
And is there a way to sync the carbs without any special tools? Cause i ain't got any

Thank you

The answer to both questions is yes. Use the search function, you'll find everything you need. Search for "Manometer". You can make one cheap.

Jacob

...detritus.

The answer to both questions is yes. Use the search function, you'll find everything you need. Search for "Manometer". You can make one cheap.

Jacob

...detritus.

Could i just mess around with the sync screw and test for the air pressure to the left muffler?
And if it's not the carbs what else could it be? I've changed the sparkplugs with new ones just to know

Well, you could just play around with the screw.

But then your bike will almost certainly stop working.

And then you'll have to do it properly.

You can make a manometer for like $2 of tubing and ATF fluid. This is the joy of owning an old bike - you get to learn.

And if you want to cafe this baby, then it's definitely time to start learning.

One more question guys.. Which jet i have to tune in order to give more power in the lower rpm range? It seems a bit slow over there while in the high rpm's near the red ight the bike is pretty powerfull

The quick answer is that low RPMs are through the pilot jet.

Whether you should go up or down, though, depends on whether you're lean or rich in the low RPMs. You're probably rich, so going down a size would be a good place to start dickering.

The quick answer is that low RPMs are through the pilot jet.

Whether you should go up or down, though, depends on whether you're lean or rich in the low RPMs. You're probably rich, so going down a size would be a good place to start dickering.

Thanks a lot for the quick tip.

By the way i did synchronize the carbs to absolute perfection and gone one step further i think than the rest of the home made manometers that i saw in many forums.

I used 2t red oil for two-stroke engines to do the test and the particular oil is very very thick! You can synchronize whith the oil being so thick without even stattering in the tube while idling. It is so stable and you can adjust the carb's butterflies to perfection of the milimeter.

I'll make a smaller tube the next time so it can be portable without having to use a tall stick to hang the tubes. So reliable

Last edited:
Back