Do I really need to rejet ?

goor

first bike 81 XS400
Reaction score
I got my bike out on some "closed course" test riding yesterday and it was awesome!
Its an '81 with chopped headers and emgo pods on the stock carb rubber manifold intake.
I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, it starts on one or two kicks and idles well. I haven't rejetted the carb or changed anything except that the idle screw is out 3 or 3 1/2 turns, I can't remember. But, it runs really well (this is a newbie assessment, btw) and pulls hard in every gear and the throttle fells very responsive, as far as I can tell. I got it up to no more than 60 do to road limitations so, I don't know how the top end of the range feels at speed. I know that I should be running lean with my setup but my question is, if everything seems to run well, how do you know if it is running leaner than it should be? It seems to me that it would be obvious if it was too far one way or the other. There is no bogging down, sputtering, backfires or anything to note. Should I rejet despite the fact that I like how it runs?

Thanks!

do a plug chop,

gun it and cut the engine and coast to a holt.

cool the bike down and take out spark plugs and check colour. you are looking for a light brown/tan spark. this works better on old spark plugs

So, what does that process do exactly? It seems like if it is in gear it would cycle the engine and still allow fuel/air to flow but no spark, right?

When doing a plug chop,you accelerate at speed,pull in the clutch,and coast to a stop.That way,you get a look at the plug at full throttle condition. lha

Back