Does nobody make any cool bikes anymore?

If it's a 360 degree separation then the pistons are going up and down together - like on the xs650 (which I am told was a Japanese copy of the 650 Bonneville) - are they not?
This apparently accounts for why there is so much vibration and why, it is alleged, ladies like to ride on them. Is that true Scorpio?

Yes, and I was wrong. Darn math! Our engines are 180° engines.

This is from Wikipedia:
In a 180° engine, one piston rises as the other falls. This gives good primary balance, albeit with a rocking couple; but results in irregular ignition pulses. This is because cylinder 2 fires 180 degrees after cylinder 1, and cylinder 1 doesn't fire again for another 540 degrees - always adding up to the 720 degrees of rotation for a four-stroke cycle.

So to answer the original question: Cylinder 1 fires first, then cylinder 2 180° later.

Looks like I opened a can of worms. I appreciate the knowledge from all on this forum. I've been pushed into night shift work this weekend so I'm not quite hittin on both holes right now. If cyl 1 just finished a power stroke and is on it's way up for exhaust that exhaust would help suck the exhaust out of cyl 2. One would think that Cyl 2 would have to exhaust up stream from Cyl 1. In this scenario would I have to jet the carbs seperately meaning different size jets for each carb??? Just something to get the old noggins working. Just dont Strain Your Brains

Looks like I opened a can of worms. I appreciate the knowledge from all on this forum. I've been pushed into night shift work this weekend so I'm not quite hittin on both holes right now. If cyl 1 just finished a power stroke and is on it's way up for exhaust that exhaust would help suck the exhaust out of cyl 2. One would think that Cyl 2 would have to exhaust up stream from Cyl 1. In this scenario would I have to jet the carbs seperately meaning different size jets for each carb??? Just something to get the old noggins working. Just dont Strain Your Brains

You're straining my brain with this message... what on earth do you mean?

Wouldnt have a clue LOL I knew one lady personaly with her triumph I think she was just into the older triumphs.If anything the ladys have a special reason for riding on the hogsLOL

Hi Willem I've been awake since 10:00 am yesterday and I'm trying to stay awake to be with my girl this am after my long shift at work. So forgive me if I sound disjointed. I'm thinking of building a Scrambler style single exhaust for my XS400. And wondering what others think might also need to be done. Feel free to add your thoughts. I think I"m going to succumb to the sand man's call to sleep.

No worries mr stubb, haha

I know all about staying up to be with your girl, did a few months of long distance with my girl being in the states. good luck with it ;)

as far as the exhaust, I have no clue. I would just put on something that fits, and then stuff the muffs with that metal wool stuff till it sounds about right.

Back