DOHC fuel filter

SandyR

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing an inline fuel filter but the fuel line from the petcock to the carbs is very short and will kink if I install the filter as-is. I can make the fuel line longer but I'm concerned that having such a long loop which will drop below the float bowl levels may cause a problem with fuel flow. Is this a concern or can anyone tell me how they have done this?
thanks,
Sandy

I have one installed, it is about halfway between the petcock and carb... no binding, kinks... it's a flat type filter like the one in the pic. Althought this isn't my bike it is installed the same way.

Attachments

• images[8].jpg
    images[8].jpg
    8 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm going to have to find a smaller filter. The one I have is quite a bit longer than yours. The only small one I have is rated for a max 15 hp application.
Sandy

... it's a flat type filter like the one in the pic...
That's a much better configuration than the long ones like I used.
I did manage to fit it in though - by not cutting the existing line in the middle. Worked fine for 11,000 kms so don't worry.

Attachments

• fuel filter.JPG
    fuel filter.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 161
Where are you guys getting these small in-line filters? I have the shortest one I can find and still too long. Either I kink the line or leave the line so long that it gets dangerously close to the engine.

Where are you guys getting these small in-line filters? I have the shortest one I can find and still too long. Either I kink the line or leave the line so long that it gets dangerously close to the engine.
I had the local motorcycle accessory shop order it for me. I think it was $2.85. I had to wait until his weekly shipment from the wholesaler or supplier but it was better than worrying about a mail delivery. I also ordered my sprocket and a few bolts and other small bits - but since he places regular large orders, he could have done it for just the filter. I have heard that the same units are used for small lawn tractors etc., and a number of guys just get one from the local farm equipment outlet or an auto-parts store. As long as it's for 1/4" (I think) line.

Don't know what the length of the filter you have is, but even with mine, to avoid kinking, I had to cut out a length of the fuel line equal to the length of the part of the filter body between the 2 line ends (not the full length of the filter). And, if you use a straight one (apparently there are 90 degree ones), it helps to insert the filter NOT at the half way point but with about 1/4 below the petcock and 3/4 going to the carb.

Finally found a filter to fit. Picked it up at a not so local marina while I was out for a ride north of town.

Attachments

• CIMG0780.jpg
    CIMG0780.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 186
Finally found a filter to fit. Picked it up at a not so local marina while I was out for a ride north of town.
Hi Ken. I think you have installed the filter backwards. It will still filter, but any sediments will be caught in the little "chamber" on the inside of the element where you can't see it. Also, the volume of that chamber is limited so if there are sediments from a tank they could fill it up in a hurry. Ideally, you want the fuel to flow in on the outside of the element then pass through and go out to the carbs from the little chamber.

I questioned that too but the guy at the marina assured me it goes this way. There is no flow direction arrow on the filter.

The more It think about it I think your right, Im going to turn it around, run some fuel through to clean it out then re-attatch line to carbs

Yeah, I'd bet the guy at the marina was wearing flip flops rather than shoes with laces...
I thought about making a Goober/Gomer filling station attendant joke, but decided that would not be P.C. enough for this gentile crowd. LOL
Thanks Dave
. . . . . .. . . . . :agree:

Thanks Lou,
Ya I should have gone with my gut instinct/common sense instead of listening to a guy wearing flop flops. Once again the forum saves the day.

Back