DOHC Stock "Pilot" Jet Sizes

doodsaibot

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I was reading through the manual for the DOHC Seca and was looking for the stock pilot jet sizes. In the diagram, I see the pilot jets but there is no size indicated in the diagram. Although, in the manual specs there is no "pilot" jet but a "starter" jet. I am assuming these are the same thing?? And are they the same size on both sides? The size indicated is #35. I know the mains are different size but not 100% sure on the pilots or starters, whichever name it is called. I was on partzilla and the size they offer for my 83 Maxim is #42.5....

Ok, found that pilot jets for both sides need to be the same size for stock air box setup. Still hazy as to whether it's a #35 or #42.5 size.

Crap. I went ahead and ordered the 42.5's last night. maybe i can still change the order. Unless I just re jet with the 42's...

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the 45's. Still leaves me wondering what the "starter" jet is.

Last edited:
Thanks, Wolfe.

I pulled the carbs today. Yall know how fun that is with the stock air box haha. Got it out in 30 minutes, my new record time :laugh:. Anyway, removed the main jets no problem, and I am looking at the Main Nozzle. Has some gunk around the bottom edge. I pressed it out with little force. I am now looking at the pilots. Unscrewed right side no problem. Left side will not come out due to a crumbled head so I can't grip it with the screwdriver. I was, however, able to pass fluid through the stuck jet. The pilots are the non bleed type. New pilots will be here Thursday or Friday and in the meantime I will be soaking the carbs. I am now considering my plan of action to remove this left hand pilot. I have a screw extractor which, to me, seems a bit extreme. I could also press a small Allen into the jet and try to spin it out. That's all I can think of to remove this pilot jet.

Sometimes the bike was having a hard time at idle without choke so I am assuming the pilot jet(s) are clogged. I have found some small flakes and gummy gunk of some sort in the float bowls and in other nooks and crannies. All the brass jets are covered in what appears to be a white stain. I have seen photos of this on other engine parts and have read it is from ethanol exposure.

The gunk in the float bowls is varnish. It will go away with some cleaning. If you've got it in the bowls, assume its in all the small passageways as well. After you clean them, clean them again! And after you have them perfect, give them another cleaning. Best final cleaning is to shoot carb cleaner through all the holes, make sure it all passes smooth, then follow up with compressed air.

For the jet you can't get out- is there enough meat on it to cut a new slot for a screwdriver? If not you can drill it out and use an extractor. Or grab a reverse thread small screw and try getting it out that way(similar to an extractor).

The jet that I am holding in this photo is from the right side.its in good shape. The jet inside the carb is the funky one. I think you are correct about the exctractir idea. You can see some other minor damage on the lip of the passage as if it had been dropped on the ground at one point. :wtf:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 164
Took a little bit of time today to disassemble my carbs more extensively. Removed the pilot screws, float valves, floats, main jets, main nozzles, enrichment rod,and one of the starter plungers. I noticed the other starter plunger does not have enough clearance to fall out due to both carbs being so close together. I was about to disconnect both carbs to remove that start plunger but the manual strongly advises against it for some reason. Would it be that detrimental to separate to carbs to retrieve this plunger? I want it out because I see that it has a rubber end that could possibly be damaged by the cleaning solution. Tomorrow night I will be soaking the carbs in some hot vinegar/water.

Take them apart. It is a bit of a hassle to reassemble them, which is why the manual advises against it. You will need a very flat surface to make sure the carbs are properly aligned. I use a sample piece of man made marble counter top. Got it from a renovation store for free as it was "last years" colors.

Make sure to remove the butterfly seals before soaking them as it will destroy them.

Thank you, Dave. I found a small slab of cut, smooth granite that I can use for a flat surface.

Chris, are you referring to this horizontal piece that runs across the butterfly? At wrk now so I can't mess with the carbs til later tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 163
At both ends on the shaft there is rubber seal ( two per carb). There are threads on these in the forum.

Nope. They are located here. Do a search on the forum as there are threads on this.

Attachments

• DSC03034.jpg
    DSC03034.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC03035.jpg
    DSC03035.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 151
Back