Drilling out jets

nick3227

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I was to drill out my stock main jet one size over if that would do anything to help my bogging issue between 3500 to 5500rpms the bike idle great but when I get on it it Boggs between that band but clears back above 5500rpms I checked the plugs and it's running lean the other thing I heard was to pull the main jet needle up with shims

I have pods and a open exhaust with custom made baffles if that helps

Posted via Mobile

Its your needle. mikes xs has a kit that works on the 80-82 sohc xs400 its the canadian set needle and needle jet part #48-0663 and 48-0662

What is that kit gonna do change the size of the needle or have clips cause I was gonna kid try to shim it up with retainer clips on the stock needle

Posted via Mobile

I did the plug check after I ran the bike but never after letting it just idle but when I did a cleaning I. Did notice one float was lower than the other should they be equal as well

Posted via Mobile

You should download the manual on the tech section of the site.It will tell you a lot about the bike. The floats should be the same,according to model, year,etc. Go to a hardware store and find the right size of washers,put them under the needle[I'm assuming that there is no clip]put 2 at first,and if it doesn't run better,add one at a time until it runs right.I would go up one size on the main jet and see if that runs better.Running lean not only makes it run worse,but it can do damage to the engine,like pre-ignition. lha

Im wondering I should raise the floats up because when I put a rag over the tank and forced air by mouth it ran good through the whole rpm range I'm wonder if the floats are too low an then it being not the same height was the problem when it needed the gas it was there to burn

Posted via Mobile

Im wondering I should raise the floats up because when I put a rag over the tank and forced air by mouth it ran good through the whole rpm range I'm wonder if the floats are too low an then it being not the same height was the problem when it needed the gas it was there to burn

Posted via Mobile
If that happened to the carb,you have an obstruction in the tank.Empty it out,and remove the petcock and clean out the crud in it.Completely take it apart and clean every part.Only then can you know that you have good fuel delivery. The float level shouldn't be moved unless you want to explode your motor one day when you start it,or foul out the plugs due to fuel fouling. lha

Last edited:
I was wondering if I was to drill out my stock main jet one size over if that would do anything to help my bogging issue between 3500 to 5500rpms the bike idle great but when I get on it it Boggs between that band but clears back above 5500rpms I checked the plugs and it's running lean the other thing I heard was to pull the main jet needle up with shims

I have pods and a open exhaust with custom made baffles if that helps

Posted via Mobile
In that RPM range,it's in the control of the slide and needle,then later in higher range,it's the main jet's control. Don't drill out the mains,but buy a couple sizes,they're cheap[relatively]and if you have 3 mains,you can experiment,if you drill,you'll have to buy another unless you have more than a hand drill. lha

Back