Driving in bearings?

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I need help for a question about driving in new bearings. The question is how far do I drive the bearings in on both wheels? On the rear I drove them in so far that they are hitting the spacer making both bearings to spin together. I assume this is bad:shrug: In the front that doesn't seem to be happening but then again I may not be in all the way. Basically, I want to know a tip or maybe a measurement for how to tell how far the bearings are in. Thanks in advance.

I need help for a question about driving in new bearings. The question is how far do I drive the bearings in on both wheels? On the rear I drove them in so far that they are hitting the spacer making both bearings to spin together.

that's right, they are supposed to do that
Basically, I want to know a tip or maybe a measurement for how to tell how far the bearings are in. Thanks in advance.

bearings need to go in as far as possible. you are torquing the axle up to 77lbs ft that's why the spacer is there.

the rear bearing on the left side has a top hat insert, that you may have thrown away with the old bearing

Thanks for the reply drewpy. I did put in the top hat spacer (thank the lord I didnt throw it out) and what I mean is that bearing hits the spacer and makes it harder to turn the bearings. normal? I will probably just drive them in as far as they will go anyways.

I hope you drove them in via the outer casing and not just the inner race, that will destroy them!

heating the hub, leaving the bearings overnight in the freezer helps with installation, they should go in to snug but you don't hammer on them trying to drive them tight

Back