Dual front discs?

skillzman1

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
Just looking over my new parts...and the front forks have bolt/bracket provisions on both front forks.
the wheel has a plastic cover over the left side of the hub.
If I remove that plastic cover am I likely to find threaded holes that would accept another front disc?
If so...how does the cover come off?

and where do I find a left side bracket and caliper?

any experience with this?

yep done that.

cover just flicks off with a flat blade screwdriver.

you'll need a new M/C which can push more fluid (i usd an xs1100, as it looked like the original) SR500 left caliper and mount (or use the xs750, 850 1100), new brake pipes (best from the M/C, rather than a splitter) and that's it.

drewps

when I have some time I'll do a "how to" as I took pikkies when I did mine. also have the brake hose lengths you need.

anyone know if any of the cast 18" front wheels have the extra holes for second rotor?
I see some 19's with them, but can't find an 18

My front alloy does not have extra holes nor the cover. Its an '82 German version.
But im fairly sure it has the extrusions, so i guess they just stopped machining and drilling that part of the wheel.

I had a Canadian '77 and a Dutch '81 XS400 and they both had that plastic ring and 6 new holes for a second disc in 'm. Only the '77 had bracket for a second caliper.

that's my point.. my '82 doesn't have them either, thought they were only on 19's. Sounds like only certain models/years of the 400's got 'em .

My '79 XS400F with 18" alloys has the holes on the left, but there are plugs in the holes. Anyone know if they are threaded or just plugged holes?

[edit] Here is a pic:

hubleft.jpg

Last edited:
the bikes in the uk are all drilled , as I have never seen any other!

someone will prove me wrong now :D

Old thread.. But I have newer forks that I'm planning on running a dual disc in front... I don't see the cap you're referring to that I can mount rotor number two on...

Help?
20130901_203558_zpscc862f89.jpg

Thank you!!

The cap is that big star like plastic piece covering the center of the wheel right behind the speedo. If you use a screw driver it should pop off and you should see the mounting holes.

The cap is that big star like plastic piece covering the center of the wheel right behind the speedo. If you use a screw driver it should pop off and you should see the mounting holes.

Still confused..
20130901_205856_zps64a3a5b9.jpg

What I'm saying is I don't see how this pops off.... I mean.. I HOPE it does!
20130901_205914_zps914c81c5.jpg

Thank you all again for the help!
:bike:

Back