tbakic

1st cafe project underway
Reaction score
so im trying to make a dual headlight set up, here is what i want

no switches, on or off or high or low
constantly on headlights
no high beam indicator
no turn signals

i dowloaded the wiring diagram for my 80' 400 special and started tracing the headlight back to the main wiring harness and highlighting and making my map of what i needed to do, i went to the bike to verify and the wiring is different, a color or two is different and more wires(as far as i can tell).

i cant upload pics right now :banghead: to show you guys a clear pic of this stuff but i will try to describe it as best i can

the headlight has a "green" "black" and "yelllow" wiring coming out of it
the yellow splits into 2 wires, "yellow" and "black/blue"
all of these go into the "high/low, turn, horn" control
so far this is already wrong compared to my diagram, my diagram says the original "yellow" wire is supposed split into "yellow" and another "yellow" that goes into a "passing switch" and comes out as a "red/yellow"

also, my "high/low, turn, horn" control has a 6wire plug on it where it plugs into the main wiring harness(the six wires are, green, yellow/red, pink, brown, brown/white, black) it contains a "pink" wire...my wiring diagram for the whole bike does not even contain any "pink" wires anywhere....im thinking i dont have the right diagram? i tried to get the right one off of the forums here but idk if i got it.

to put it simply, does anyone know what wires from that 6 wire plug( green, yellow/red, pink, brown, brown/white, black) do i need to power my headlights?

so you want to run high beam continuously?
not a good idea with the current charging systems we have. It'll also draw too much current to start the bike!

have a rethink first and If your still adamant, i'll check out the wiring diagrams I have!

so im trying to make a dual headlight set up, here is what i want

no switches, on or off or high or low
constantly on headlights
no high beam indicator
no turn signals

i dowloaded the wiring diagram for my 80' 400 special and started tracing the headlight back to the main wiring harness and highlighting and making my map of what i needed to do, i went to the bike to verify and the wiring is different, a color or two is different and more wires(as far as i can tell).

i cant upload pics right now :banghead: to show you guys a clear pic of this stuff but i will try to describe it as best i can

the headlight has a "green" "black" and "yelllow" wiring coming out of it
the yellow splits into 2 wires, "yellow" and "black/blue"
all of these go into the "high/low, turn, horn" control
so far this is already wrong compared to my diagram, my diagram says the original "yellow" wire is supposed split into "yellow" and another "yellow" that goes into a "passing switch" and comes out as a "red/yellow"

also, my "high/low, turn, horn" control has a 6wire plug on it where it plugs into the main wiring harness(the six wires are, green, yellow/red, pink, brown, brown/white, black) it contains a "pink" wire...my wiring diagram for the whole bike does not even contain any "pink" wires anywhere....im thinking i dont have the right diagram? i tried to get the right one off of the forums here but idk if i got it.

to put it simply, does anyone know what wires from that 6 wire plug( green, yellow/red, pink, brown, brown/white, black) do i need to power my headlights?

If you trace that black/blue wire, it will go back to a relay. The relay is where the seat and tank meet, in that area, and what keeps the light off until the bike is running. Not sure why you'd need to have the light always on, but if you do, cut the relay/connector off, and connect the black/blue with the red/yellow (I think it's red/yellow). Terminate the others.

If you want high beam on all the time, you should be able to connect the black/blue, coming into the switch, with the yellow going into the headlamp coming out of the switch. That will bypass the hi/low switch and keep your high beam on all the time.

The second yellow wire in the headlight bucket, that goes to the high beam indicator. Terminate that and you'll have no more indicator light.

Back