earth band ? help

bikersteve

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all , l am rebuilding a xs400se and am a little bit stuck and wondering if anybody can help. the problem is l have forgot where abouts the earth band goes, its a braided metal strip about 100mm long with eyelets on both ends , and sadly cant remenber where l took it off . starting to think it goes between the coils but not sure, can any body help, thanks :confused:

goes on one of the rear engine crancase bolts.

a bit more intro than "hi folks, fix this" would be a more polite!

thank you drewpy, and sorry about lack of intro, will give myself a kick, so one side goes on the crankcase bolt , so where does the other end go ?, sorry for beening so stupid ,

Think it must go on the frame as its no long enough to go to the battery, but know the one that you mean Drewpy, thanks for your kind help, will try and get some pics of the project uploaded today . taken a look of the pics on the site and well impressed with everybodys projects, hope mine turns out as good . only got the bike last month . its a 1980 xs400se us custom with 23000 miles on the clock , it had sat for 21 years in a shed and was totaly covered in rust. had the frame sand blastedand painted, starting to rebuild it now slowly , got a long way to go but enjoying the project so far.
Been in to bikes for years and always will be . l remenber when the xs400 us custom first hit the streets in 1980 and wanted one but sadly had to stick with my
fs1e due to being only 16 and unemployed.
will try to get some pics uploaded today , please bear with me as not too good with computers. thanks again for the help . steve :thumbsup: :bike:

Think it must go on the frame as its no long enough to go to the battery, but know the one that you mean Drewpy, thanks for your kind help, will try and get some pics of the project uploaded today . taken a look of the pics on the site and well impressed with everybodys projects, hope mine turns out as good . only got the bike last month . its a 1980 xs400se us custom with 23000 miles on the clock , it had sat for 21 years in a shed and was totaly covered in rust. had the frame sand blastedand painted, starting to rebuild it now slowly , got a long way to go but enjoying the project so far.
Been in to bikes for years and always will be . l remenber when the xs400 us custom first hit the streets in 1980 and wanted one but sadly had to stick with my
will try to get some pics uploaded today , please bear with me as not too good with computers. thanks again for the help . steve :thumbsup: :bike:
Nice intro man! It's cool to hear where people "come from". I'm definitely looking forward to the pics!!

that fizzy can buy 2 xs400 now :D

that earth lead def goes to the battery from the motor, I have a official yam service manual and shows all the wire routing. maybe its been replaced?

on my 79 there is a short braided ground strap that is bolted to the frame right behind the coils on the top tube, behind the condenser, the other end goes to the top of the valve cover on the engine. My 2 pennies again!!lol

on my 79 there is a short braided ground strap that is bolted to the frame right behind the coils on the top tube, behind the condenser, the other end goes to the top of the valve cover on the engine. My 2 pennies again!!lol

never seen that before :D

Thanks for all your help , as mine is a early 1980 model l think it may well go from the frame to the engine behind the coils. will try to upload my pics as soon as poss :thumbsup:

Back