Electric start didn't work...replaced the solenoid..now it won't stop turning over.

Cseidl81

81YamahaCafe
Reaction score
One step forward two steps back:

My electric start wouldn't work for the longest time - I finally replaced the solenoid and now when I reconnect the battery it sparks a lot as I put on the negative terminal and the bike starts to turn over without the key even in the ignition....ideas??

You probably have something wired wrong. If you're getting sparks when you connect the battery something is connecting the positive and negative terminal of the battery together; you're rapidly discharging the battery.

You need to carefully study the wiring diagram. I can't tell you exactly what to change. All I can say is that something is connected wrong or backwards.

Would it be something related to the starter because the engine keeps trying to turn over when I connect the battery?

The starter, battery, and starter solenoid are all one circle of madness (not really), but there are several wires that could be messed up. Also, if the solenoid itself is not covered and protected both terminals can connect by touching the frame or something.

I bet the two positive leads on the selonoid are touching, one to red on battery and one to starter motor, they are close together on the selonoid so they could come into contact.

I disconnected the starter and tried connecting the battery to see if it was an issue with the starter, it's not. Still sparking.

You've shorted your battery somehow. You're just going to have to systematically find the issue by tracing wires and making sure they are all connected properly. Without being able to see it there isn't much else I can do.

Alright so I figured it out and it's slightly embarrassing - I connected the positive battery cable to the solenoid accidentally and the solenoid cable to the positive battery terminal. Whoops. Anyways, it still doesn't turn over but it's because the starter button is shot. I'm going to rewire a single push button start hidden under the frame anyways.

Thanks for all the input men!

I'm not the greatest with electrics, but when the battery lights up like a Christmas tree as soon as it gets connected you know you've shorted it!

Back