Electric start only clicks

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Washed the bike and waxed it this am. Took it out for about 15 min. Went out this afternoon, pushed the button all I got was a click. Kickstarts great. Took the batt to store, it checks out fine. batt terminals are clean. Battery was fully charged. Any ideas? 1980 xs400 special. Thanks alot, have a great day!

poss earthing issue or similar connection for the motor. did you bypass the solenoid to eliminate that as an issue?

poss earthing issue or similar connection for the motor. did you bypass the solenoid to eliminate that as an issue?

No, thank you for the reply. How would I do that? Sorry, still a novice. Tx alot, have a great day!

big screwdriver across the large posts on the solinoid with the ignition on.

watch the sparks :D

big screwdriver across the large posts on the solinoid with the ignition on.

watch the sparks :D

Thank you for that. How can I check to see if the starter is the problem? Tx again, have a great day!

If you did what he said and the starter doesn't turn, you have a starter problem. If it does turn, you have a solenoid problem.

I had what sounds like the exact same issue.
I took my starter out to look at it and found the brushes had basically been ground to nothing and their remains had gotten into every part of the starter motor. The copper commmutator also had a huge indent from the friction. Bought a new one on Ebay for like, $30 with shipping. Works great now and it's a relatively easy repair.

I had what sounds like the exact same issue.
I took my starter out to look at it and found the brushes had basically been ground to nothing and their remains had gotten into every part of the starter motor. The copper commmutator also had a huge indent from the friction. Bought a new one on Ebay for like, $30 with shipping. Works great now and it's a relatively easy repair.

Thank you very much, have a great day!

Thanks again everyone. Guess what, left work in afternoon yesterday and tried elec start just for the hell of it. It fired right up! I think this bike is cursed. Tx again, have a great day!

I heard rumors that electricity doesn't like water, Could this be the proof?????
Investigation continues .... :umm:

Now I don't know what it is that got wet though. Everything has insulation or elec tape. I rode it to work this AM. Now it looks like it is going to rain. Have the seat covered with a plastic waterproof cover. Hopefully the solenoid won't get wet.

Back