Electric Start Question

kshansen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone added an electric start to a non electric start XS400? I have a 1978 XS400 that is kick only but also have a 1977 with electric start. Is it possible to use parts off the 1977 to convert the 1978 without doing a major tear down of both? Guess I could swap the motors but just wondering if there is a easier way.

It's would be quicker to swap the motor assuming the new one is ready to run and needs no adjustment or maintenance (that is assuming a lot). I can swap an engine in an hour on this bike.

Yes, you can do the conversion if you have all the parts, but it is a moderate amount of work.

Essentially the job will be almost identical to rebuilding a starter clutch but you'll just be transferring parts over instead. I would check the manual out to get an idea of what is involved.

Also, you won't have any wiring or relays in place to use the starter, so that would need to be modified and added in.

I would give this job a difficulty of 7/10 compared to other jobs on this specific motorcycle. You'll be fine if you're experienced mechanically.

The wiring would not be a big deal but the more I think about it I'd be better off spending my time doing work on getting the engine to start on one or two kicks like my XS650. Then save the electric start bike for a future project. If I can get the paper work on it so it can be made legal I could always move the sidecar over to it. Guessing a good carb cleaning will be the first place to go on this bike that has not be run much in the last two years or more.

Back