Electric start slowly dies

kikeymikey

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, haven't posted in awhile..
my bike's been sitting since the beginning of winter and i just bought a new battery.
After installing it i tried the electric start and it almost started but slowly died after several tries. Now it only makes a clicking noise when i press it. The kick start also doesn't work. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem try charging the battery and turning the choke on or if all else fails I took my starter apart and cleaned it really good and now it works like a dream

I tried charging it again with no luck, i bought it from the yamaha store and they said they charged it fully

I'm in the habit of wire-brushing all connections and applying a little di-electric grease when I disconnect anything. To me it's a good habit,but time consuming.You'd be surprised what you run into when investigating ground connections,and how things work better clean. lha

I'm in the habit of wire-brushing all connections and applying a little di-electric grease when I disconnect anything. To me it's a good habit,but time consuming.You'd be surprised what you run into when investigating ground connections,and how things work better clean. lha

I'll second that. After cleaning, I flood all wiring connectors with dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion. Good preventive maintenance. :bike:

Back