Electrical gurus, check my work please?

WelderDave

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I got a wiring diagram from here I have the ‘78 xs400E. Just checking to make sure I got it right, I took 3 electrical automotive classes and I did really well so this should be simple enough but parts are different and I had to look them up to see what they did. Anyway, this is what I got.

2 connectors coming off the back of the engine, 3 white wires go to the rectifier obviously, yellow wire goes to lights to help, but I don’t need it since I’m running leds (more on that later, you should see).

From the rectifier there is a red (power to battery) and black I’m getting that it’s to ground from the diagram? Looks like it’s hooked up to the main ground wire.

The red off the rectifier runs through a 20 amp fuse, then I have a master switch (eliminating key), going straight to battery.

Battery pigtailed with power off to the distribution box where it separates off. I’m thinking a 10 amp fuse a lot going to the 12v regulator with a sense wire connected to the main power wire on distribution block in and the other 2 go to the field coil.

Which brings us to the field coil connector. I’m assuming it’s the green wire as ground, black wire is power, blue is neutral switch, and yellow is oil pressure switch. Might have mixed the last 2 up, I’m doing this from memory at the moment.

Another 10 amp fuse runs to the headlight and tail light power. Headlight is always on low beam with a switched high beam 35watt bulb, rear led.

Another 5 amp fuse runs to the electronic blinker relay which runs the controlled ground for the 4 blinkers.

Another 10 amp fuse runs power to the ignition coils which have the original wiring (still in good condition) with the ?condensor? Wires in per factory, and the contact breaker (in the head) wired just as factory. Only thing I’m doing with this is splicing in my new power wire to this small harness, if you will, that was originally on the bike from the 10 amp fuse in the dist. Block.

So we have the regulator and rectifier accounted for, 2.9ah agm battery (no starter), distribution block, engine ignition (untouched except power to it), blinker relay, all grounds running to chassis which has a wire from the battery box I’m making to the negative battery post, all accounted for.

Any thoughts on this, something I’m not taking into consideration, or am I good? I looked up what parts were needed, what they did, their wires, and checked it with the diagram, to me it looks like I’ve got the charging system, and ignition system at minimal to make the bike run, the lights are easy. Just wanna make sure I’ve those 2 systems correctly wired.

Back