Electrical Identification/Help

shamus

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys. Thought 'd take tonight to time my ignition and try and fire this baby up. My issue is that I'm not getting power to my coils and points (which is the only thing I've hooked up). I think the problem is here. Can someone tell me what this is and if that empty bolt and nut is supposed to be just grounded?

8110312554_209e99c533.jpg

8110306465_a183be619f.jpg

Checked my manual(s) and couldn't find the answer. It's probably there but I'm just having a tough time reading it. I'm only getting power to one port in the fuse box, and I think the power to the rest is being cut off from this thing. Please help. Thanks, guys.

That's the starter solinoid. One wire to the starter motor and one to battery positive. The smaller blue/white and red/white will lead back to the starter switch/engine stop switch. Get a hold of the service manual for the wiring diagrams.

Good to know, thanks. I guess my next question would be do i need to somehow disengage the kill switch function on my harness to get a spark? The reason I ask is I'm not getting power anywhere on the harness except the first fuse in the line. The next three are powerless.

What condition is the harness in? Is the stop switch still attached? Normally when it's in the "run" position, you have power on the circuit with the red/white wire coming off the solinoid. That in turn feeds the igniter which feeds the coils. There are other things to factor but you'll have to start tracing wires and looking at the diagram.

Hook up the starter solinoid. You should then see power at the ignition fuse at least. Otherwise you have a whole lot of other things to check.

Did you disassemble the bike or did you inherit it that way? There could be other things unplugged in the harness, parts missing, fried components, etc. You'll need to test all electrical components, follow all connections.

Did you disassemble the bike or did you inherit it that way? There could be other things unplugged in the harness, parts missing, fried components, etc. You'll need to test all electrical components, follow all connections.

Yeah I've decided I'm going to rebuild from scratch. It's kind of a mess. Already got a new solid state reg/rec unit so I may as well upgrade the rest.

Back