Electrical Issues?????????????

cab9107

79 XS400 kick
Reaction score
Hello everybody I am a new member and I am hoping someone can help me.
I got a 1979 XS 400 a couple years ago for free. It had been sitting in a shed for years. I got it running and had new tires and brakes put on it and replaced the battery and cleaned the fuel system. I also had the carbs professional rebuilt.
One of the first rides I took, the main fuse blew luckly I had extras and made it home. It went through 5 fuses to get home. I had to stop and let it cool down (5 minutes) before I could replace the fuse, start it, and ride for a little while before it blew the next fuse and this continued until I got home.
The next day I began the process of checking the wires for a break. The only issue I found was that the wires at the fuse block were loose so I cleaned and resoldered them. I went for ride and had the same problem. Luckily I had extra fuses with.
I have since then double checked the wiring, replaced the ignition switch, replaced the coils, and replaced the regulator and rectifier. None of which have solved the problem.
The last time I rode it, I didn't ride far and when I got home I let it idle in the driveway, since the fuse never blew while idling. Well it did eventually blow the fuse and now it won't start. It only has kick start so it is quite the workout to try and start for hours at a time.
HELP

Welcome to the forum cab9107! Glad to have you here! Let's see a few pictures of your ride man!

As for your electrical woes....I know you have double-checked the wiring, but it still sounds like a short somewhere to me. Also, I would look into changing your fuse block over to the newer "blade" style fuses if you haven't already. Use the search function here and it should come up. I believe that parts from Radio Shack are the ones that are used.

That's a real bummer, and sounds like you've checked all the usual 'suspects'.

Might be a case of stripping the covering from the loom and checking for shorts : and/or disconnecting all but the ignition components from the circuit and see if you can isolate the cause. To be honest, by this point I would probably have junked the whole loom, (in a fit of rage :banghead:), and re-wired the bike using new wire and connectors from an auto electrical suppliers.
Good luck, it's always a pain when you cover the obvious stuff and still can't find the problem.
Perhaps one of the guys can think of something else to try.

Back