Electrical Issues

joebeets

XS400 Member
Reaction score
1980 400

I think I may have a short.....

When I connect battery oil light comes on when i turn on the key of course. I press the start button and all it does is click. Break light is on and turn signals do not flash. Head light does not light. Any help be great.

Thanks

First order of business is to ensure the battery is in good shape and fully charged. You say nothing about the neutral light when the key is on .... so make sure the bike is in neutral. The headlight will not light until the motor is running, or at least turning over. Verify the kill switch is in the "RUN" position. Verify all fuses are good. The turn signals should work when the key is on. Turn signal problems could be battery, fuse, flasher, switch, bulbs (unlikely if all 4 signals are fail but it is possible), or break in wire between switch and flasher or between flasher and fuse.

The click when you press the start button is a good sign. It probably means the starter solenoid is at least trying to work and the rest of the starter circuit is in good order (except for possibly the starter itself). Once you are sure the battery is in good condition, clean up ALL the contacts in the starter circuit: battery +, battery -, engine ground, battery to solenoid, and solenoid to starter. If that doesn't work, try jumping the solenoid from the battery lug to the starter lug and see if the starter will turn.

Back