Electrical problems. PLEASE HELP

The cracked intake boots may or may not leak. In most cases the cracks do not go all the way through. Use starter fluid or WD400 to check for leaks. You can use black RTV on the boots to kelp preserve them for more life, just clean them good and paint into and over the cracks really well with it.

The cracked intake boots may or may not leak. In most cases the cracks do not go all the way through. Use starter fluid or WD400 to check for leaks. You can use black RTV on the boots to kelp preserve them for more life, just clean them good and paint into and over the cracks really well with it.

That is a great idea... except that I already bought a new set from mikesxs last night. That would have saved a bit of cash.:doh:

BTW, After getting the bike running, I checked the voltage to the battery (the original reason for the post) and found it at about 12.3 volts at idle and ~13.7 revved. I don't think there is anything wrong with the charging system at all... Stupid PO.

the fix markjs suggested would definitely be a temporary one though, I wouldn't feel so bad for spending a few $$, they will last you for another few decades ;)

:D I used a Silicone repair tape, Its got other names, but it worked for me till I could afford one of the intake boots made with aircraft rubber from JBM industries http://jbmindustries.com/HOLDERS.html. Ohhh I just seen the price, 74 for a pair, I must have bought a pair from Mikesxs as well. and got my diaphragm from JBM Industries.

Tape, Silicone Self-Sealing, 10' http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...mpaignID=T9A&gclid=CNCmwrq-2LkCFY1DMgod7lQAxg

Features
  • High quality tape that insulates all shapes of conductors to 400 V.
  • Insulates and seals surfaces from -65 C to 260 C (-85 F to 500 F).
  • Fuses to itself in seconds to stay watertight.
  • Permanent mold in 24 hours or in minutes with heat application.

I've got a laundry list of parts coming in today. I'm pretty excited. I will probably post another thread once I get it running since it has nothing to do with electrical anymore. Maybe post some pics. With any luck, I'll be riding to work tomorrow.Wish me luck...

PS. I decided that I'm going to go for a black/yellow design with a repainted gas tank. Eventually.

I second the silicone tape - (vinyl adhesive tape)

My front brake line protective coating was a bit cracked here and there the steel braided line that I could see through it was still in good condition. After cleaning the surface and re wrapping it with the vynil adhesive tape its brand new again for $8 with lots of the roll to spare!

Even the saftey certification guys didnt notice anything.:wink2:

Back