Engine consistently dies on me

Lester

Lester
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been reading through the various queries and answers relating to this but have not found anything that mirrors my situation. Basically, the bike starts first time and runs really well, but for only around 4 kms and cuts out. The first time this happened I rang a friend who turned up with his trailer to get me back home. "Just try starting it" he said and it did start, as easily as normal. I rode it back home and when I reached my house exactly the same thing happened again.
My first thoughts were the condenser (brand new) was at fault, but the problem persisted. I had ordered an electronic timing system from Pamco which arrived at the same time as this problem manifested itself and fitted this rather than change the condenser again. I have 2 new coils fitted (grey units) which test ok on the multimeter and all seems to be in order with the various earths/connections. What amazes me is how well the bike runs before dying on me! I feel that I have replaced the troublesome parts of the electrical system but the problem persists. If anyone can help to identify why this happens in such a timely way I would be happy to buy them a beer!!
As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Lester:banghead:

Lester,

Something you may want to consider, first off, is listing the year and submodel of your bike in your signature. This will help everyone in knowing what bike you have right away and help get to solving the problem faster. I have had a very similar problem happen to me. Bike would run great for a few miles and then quit. I started checking my electrical components with a Hayne's manual and found the problem to be my rectifier.

Sounds like it could be as simple as your fuel tank not venting.
Check that the vent through the fuel cap is clear.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and please let me say sorry for not specifying the bike info. I subscribed to the first rally of this year and was in such a desperate hurry to find the problem so I could take part - more speed less haste!! Hopefully I have resolved that in my revised signature.

It is definitely not fuel related but I now have something positive to work on re the rectifier. The combined reg/rect I have seen mentioned on several occasions would seem to be a good overall solution once I have checked out the rectifier issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Back