engine hits a wall

Tyler H

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I just pulled the top end on my 1980 xs400 and replaced a gasket that was leaking about half way down. I reassembled everything and with the top cover back on I put a 17mm on the flywheel and turned it to make sure it all went well.. it didn't. I'm hitting SOMETHING inside and its causing the crank to stop dead. I'm not sure if I put the timing wheel back on the camshaft correctly and my timing is off. I lined up the dot on the camshaft up and and noticed 1 of the 2 bolt holes on the timing chain wheel had a nub so I lined that up as well... where am I going wrong. I really don't want to have to pull off the top too many more times (so many bolts)

It's the timing chain, but not the timing.
Was the left cylinder at TDC when you reinstalled the camshaft and camshaft sprocket?
Unbolt the camshaft sprocket, reset the left cylinder to TDC, point the camshaft dot up, align the sprocket so the nub points up AND the two lines at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock are parallel with the head surface, then bolt the sprocket back on. Use loctite on the sprocket bolts. You don't want those falling off in the engine.
Rotate the crank manually while the top is still on so you don't have to undo all those bolts again.

Back