Engine noise - diagnose needed

Ketchup pusher

For more of my xs 400 Instagram: Ketchup Pusher
Reaction score
Yo
While riding home a week ago my engine suddenly started sounding weird. It sounds like something which shouldn't be moving, is doing that. Or that something is chattering because of over revving. my intial thoughts would be the chain to the camschaft is loose, or that something is fucked.
The noise/chattering follows the engine sounds like a shadow, some extra noise which sound more chattery and appears to be the result of revving the engine.

Diagnose needed

Best regards Emil

Last edited:
Valves? Or ? mine sounded similar and I found the tentioner on the starter chain had fall in the bottom and chain was spinning with engine shaft so I'd pull that whole left cover AFTER you first chech the valves it's a shot that couldn't hurt man I hope you get her fixed she's pretty lol let us know

Sometimes when the starter clutches go out like mine the chain locks and engine will turn the starter while running see if you can feel a vibration that's a noticeable turning on the starter cover

possible camchain or camshaft.
I'd pull the cam cover check lube is flowing and check chain is tensioned.
see if valves are ok.
put back and redo the valve gaps

I was thinking the valves might be the reason for it aswell, but it just doesn't sound like it.. i'll check on it later this week
Hadn't thought about the starter clutch, but that could very well be, i have been noticing increasing vibration.
And thanks for the compliment Napalmroller, though she is far from finished, still need to install new headlight, speedo and rpm gauge, keyless ignition and figure out a better front fender. Though i must say that your girl is stunning, the color combination is great.

possible camchain or camshaft.
I'd pull the cam cover check lube is flowing and check chain is tensioned.
see if valves are ok.
put back and redo the valve gaps
Yeah, my thought as well. i'm just short on time, but i'll se if i can make it happen this week.
#notreadyforDGR

I havn't had time to open her up yet, but i just started her up again and noticed some problems.
When i attempted to start it without clutch (clutch lever held down) it wouldn't start, sounded like the chain was just running free and not biting.
When i then let go of the clutch, she fired right up.
Could this indicate anything?
i'm guessing this could indicate something to do with the starter motor?

I havn't had time to open her up yet, but i just started her up again and noticed some problems.
When i attempted to start it without clutch (clutch lever held down) it wouldn't start, sounded like the chain was just running free and not biting.
When i then let go of the clutch, she fired right up.
Could this indicate anything?
i'm guessing this could indicate something to do with the starter motor?

It indicates the kicker is working as designed. The kick start requires the clutch to be released for it to work.

It has to be in neutral and I don't think you can start in any gear with the clutch in like some bikes so clutch out in neutral then start but it's been awhile and I don't have electric anymore just kick sooo not 100% ask Drewpy lol

The e-start turns the crank directly(chain and starter clutch). The motors clutch is for the transmission only.

Hi, from your vid, it sounds to me a lot like "Tappet Rattle" as this will increase and decrease with engine revs! It is also possibe that your camchain tensioner, needs adjusting, or even a combination of both tappets and tensioner, adjust both, and see if it cures your problem?

Merlin _/\_

The SOHC xs400 uses a automatic cam chain tension-er so there is way to adjust that.

I'm not sure, on the SOHC motor, as mine is the DOHC Maxim, (see profile pic) but it should be similar to mine? Try slackening the locking nut on the tensioner, IF it is loose, you will hear it, start to tension the chain, the tighten up the lock nut! Then run the engine, and see if that noise has quietened, or disappeared, IF it has disappeared, problem solved, IF NOT, check on your tappets, and adjust as necessary! These two things should cure your problems?
Merlin

Sohc bikes do not have a nut/bolt for the cam chain tension. They self adjust from the inside of the motor. DOHC bikes/motors are totally different than SOHC ones.

Back