Engine rebuild

shamus

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on my engine rebuild. My bike has about 14,000KM on in so as part of my project I'm pulling the engine apart to clean it up and check for problems. My question is, how far should I go with its teardown? I've completely taken the top end apart, opened up every outer case, and removed the stator to check for corrosion (electrically still connected to the engine.) Now, everything I can see looks to be in great shape and fairly clean. I'm going to power wash and degrease the engine and clean any residue left on the pistons, but should I be digging further into it? Ie, clutch, crank, kickstart, etc?

depends on what the engine was doing before you tore it apart!

my first xs I completely rebuilt it as I didn't know its history and was part dismantled anyway.

If you fancy a complete strip, go for it! that way you can get the cases vapour blasted for that ultra new look :)

Thanks, Drew. The engine was sound when I tore it apart, so I'm not at all worried in that respect. I'm lacking in some of the more specialized tools for any further dismantling, so I was just curious if there are any obvious things I should make sure to take out, since I'm in there already. Which leads me to two additional questions.

1. What have people used with the best results for cleaning carbon off the pistons?

2. Drew, how many xs's have you owned?

technically 4, but only 2 on the road the rest were for parts.

use a brass brush in a drill for the carbon. Keep the pistons in the barrels for that and stuff a rag down the centre tunnel

technically 4, but only 2 on the road the rest were for parts.

use a brass brush in a drill for the carbon. Keep the pistons in the barrels for that and stuff a rag down the centre tunnel

be careful that no bits of brass brush fall into the crank case as little bits of the brush do fly off.

I got mine vapour blasted when I did the side covers.

Posted via Mobile

Back