Engine temps different?

jrhowe

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a stock 81 xs400 sohc that I got from a friend last year. I cleaned the carbs, rebuilt the petcock, changed oil and filter, installed new factory air filters. Got the bike running and have been riding it this summer. The bike 1800 and sum odd miles on the speedo when I got it. Had the idle air screws adjusted like 3.5 on left and 4.25 on the right. The exhaust on the pop very slightly when it was cold but when the bike was warm and running for awhile the poping would go away. It will hesitate just a little starting off the line but run great the rest of the time. Lots of power all through the rpm ranges. I read on hear about engine temps and what the range should be (265 deg F) exhaust side of the spark plug. I took my I.R. gun and checked the temps After riding around the block a couple of times I had 315 on left and 215 on the right. Yook carbs off and checked float height 27MM. Replaced carb boots and clamps because the were dry and cracked and clamps were bent out of round. Still 100 deg diffrence in temps. even today at 55 deg it was the same. Am I doing somthing wrong? I love this bike but its killing me not riding it? Some suggestions on how to get the temps closer together I don't want to melt a piston.

First I would set the idle mix screws the same 3 turns. Then sync the carbs with a manometer. And if you have not already, make sure the valves are adjusted proper.

Last edited:
First I would set the idle mix screws the same 3 turns. Then sync the carbs with a manometer. And if you have not already, make sure the valves are adjusted proper.

Thanks xschris i will sync them and check them again and report back.

Back