EV motorcycles!

ThePsuedoMonkey

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So, I have noticed an increasing frequency of electric motorcycle conversions online, and I must say that I am interested! These guys claim to have built their complete conversions for as little as $1000, and the cost to recharge them roughly correlates to getting 300 to 400 mpg :yikes:. Top speeds have been reported upwards of 70mph, though range is deep in the low end of the spectrum (~25mi) for those using a few standard AGM batteries. If I had a spare frame and extra money I would definitely make one of these! (It would also pay for itself after driving only 7.74mi per dollar invested) :D

So I was playing around with some numbers, trying to figure out how things would work from a mechanical perspective. I think I ended up with realistic figures for the two forces slowing the bike down (all figures are in SI units, since they are easiest to calculate):
external forces.jpg
I'm not really sure how accurate they are, since I don't know enough about fluid dynamics to estimate the bike's cross section or correct for it's shape. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference considering the speed of the motor has a larger limiting effect on the performance. I even made some awesome 3d plots to show the entire realm of possible operation! (They needed to be doctored a little to hide some of the rounding errors) I was not expecting the torque ratio to have such a big impact, and it seems like a conversion would require a fairly unique gearbox to accommodate a similar performance range. Maybe this could be a future project, I'm probably just greedy from getting to ride so many different bikes in my first year of riding :laugh:

Attachments

• A vs ratio'.jpg
    A vs ratio'.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 244
  • isometric'.jpg
    isometric'.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 229
  • V vs A'.jpg
    V vs A'.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 252
  • V vs ratio'.jpg
    V vs ratio'.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 256
I've actually have had an electric bike planned for sometime, when I run into a cb for cheap that isn't rusted solid the projct will begin.

Posted via Mobile

Back