Everyone has an intro but me

ThePsuedoMonkey

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I fixed that too! :D

Imma brand new rider, got my endorsement in July (passed Riders Edge on the first attempt with no prior experience: woot!), but apparently my dad has some experience as well. I managed to convince my brother to go halvsies on a Rebel 250, which I outgrew after ~2000 miles (kind of a burden on the freeway, as it tops out at 75 with no incline, while most everyone goes between 70 and 80 anyway). I definitely wanted something faster, but didn't want to sacrifice too much MPG, which led me to my XS through Craigslist. After three weeks, everything was ship-shape and honky-dory and everyone involved was happy (set me back ~$1400 after everything was said and done, thanks Michigan auto insurance industry). Today, I felt like tinkering with the carb balance again (still sort of OCD) with my ho' made manometer, built from $8 worth of fish tank stuff and some random hardware, and snapped some pictures while waiting for the fluid level to stabilize between adjustments. Enjoy! You can see the Rebel 250 and my dad's Shadow 750 in the background, too.

The first set of pods I bought were 45mm (too small to go right over the carbs:mad:), thus the steel pipe. Of course, when I got the 54mm ones I found that fuel will leak out of them when the petcock is on prime, so it's gonna stay like that (the covers hide the ugly anyway!). Could you tell that headlamp isn't stock? PO had ripped open a sealed beam unit and glued a halogen in there, so of course it never focused correctly and was never bright enough. I found a cheap off-road housing online, but had to fab a way to mount it in the old frame (sheet aluminum, not too shabby). Grabbed the brightest sunofagun I could find (55/100W) and put her in, no more overrunning the headlight for this fella! (that seems to be too much for the alternator, but I'd rather be able to see than not have to charge it once a week) Those freeway pegs are lousy, btw, but I keep 'em there for show. I don't remember how much I paid for that seat cushion, but it was absolutely worth it!

Attachments

• P9170138.jpg
    P9170138.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 119
  • P9170139.jpg
    P9170139.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 119
  • P9170140.jpg
    P9170140.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 133
  • P9170141.jpg
    P9170141.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 116
  • P9170142.jpg
    P9170142.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 126
  • P9170143.jpg
    P9170143.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 113
Excellent intro and beautiful bikes. Glad you had a dad that got you into this stuff young so you could fully enjoy it =) Welcome to the forums!

welcome to the forum, great intro and the headlamp looks good from here. i also like your intake extensions kinda retro looking

Back