Excessive oil on chain

OneTwoThree

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got this bike two weeks ago, my first bike ever. Today when i came back home from riding i noticed oil splatter on back of my license plate. Looked around and found some oil drippings on my rear tire. I then looked at my chain and it had a lot of oil. So i traced it back towards the gear box, it was all oily. What could be wrong with it?

Also, when i was examining the bottom of my engine i noticed a hole, size of a toonie, right next to left foot peg. :eek: What is that for?

I'm excellent with electrical(electrical engineer), but im horrible at mechanical work.

Thanks in advance!

What is this toonie you speak of? Must be that Canadian lingo ;)

There are a few seals on the chain side of the motor that develop leaks over time, then the chain swings the oil all over the place. If you do a quick search, you'll see that almost everybody has had this happen before. If you take the side cover off, degrease it, then run the motor you can determine which seal it's coming from.

As for the hole, can you take a pic? Are you talking about the clutch adjuster?

Hi Wolfe, maybe it is the clutch adjuster. I feel like it belongs there for some purpose but maybe the cap/cover fell off?

You can see the oil drippings on the muffler pipe below shifter.

Attachments

• IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 348
I've never worked on that model so I can't comment on what that hole is for, sorry!

But that mess certainly looks like you have a leaky seal or two. Mine leaked from the clutch pushrod, sprocket, and shift selector. Mess to clean up.

Remove the left rear cover and you will find the source of your leak. You will have to remove the foot peg, and shifter to get the cover off. There are 2 seals that could be leaking, as well as the oil pressure switch.

Once you have the area cleaned up, you may need to run the bike to see where the leak is coming from. Be aware that the clutch push rod will probably try to eject itself, so it will need to be restrained or you will have a large oil leak for certain!

So i took the cover off and cleaned out the oil/sand/dirt that accumulated inside. Looks like the sand/dirt entered through the bottom hole. I let the engine run but saw no visible signs of leak, but i did notice a loose metal washer on the gear shifter rod. i cleaned it the best i can, ill ride it around for few days and open it back up to see if theres more oil.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ignore the photo layout. :laugh:

Attachments

• image2-1.jpg
    image2-1.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 312
That pic was before cleaning, right? ;)

It is quite possible that your "leak" was nothing more than oil flung off the chain. I have oil being continuously applied and flung from my chain (intentionally!), and it does make a mess, but I also have no measurable or visible chain or sprocket wear after 20k km. I know how to wash the bike (ride in the rain!) if it becomes a problem.

There are spray wax chain lubes that don't make a mess once applied, if this is a concern to you.

Dave, that picture was taken after! I tried to remove as much as i can without damaging the switches and this is the best i can do for now. I forgot to attach the before picture so here it is. (i dont know why it keeps uploading upside down)

It could be oil that the previous owner applied before selling it to me(got it two weeks ago). I didnt have a chance to ride it yet after the clean up. I will check it in a few days and hope theres no more oil in there.

Attachments

• image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 306
If you want to find the source of oil leak (if there is any) you have to clean it more. use some heavy duty engine cleaner, and nylon brush, disconnect cables from oil pressure switch and neutral switch before.

Back